Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Swollen paw,help
Swollen paw,help
Health related
Nov 12 2017
06:16:32 AM
Yesterday I found my boy has a swollen paw, and he stopped using his arm since then. I’ll take him to the vet as soon as the opening time, but I’m expecting that our vets won’t be sure about the swelling causing since they aren’t expert in sugar gliders. So I’m afraid they’ll give him the wrong medication. It might be hard to tell but do anyone has the same experience with swollen paws?
( I couldn’t take a clear picture because he won’t let me hold his arm)
Health related
Nov 12 2017
07:21:17 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
It's hard to see from that picture. Check to make sure there isn't a thread or hair something wrapped around toes, wrist leg etc... that is cutting off circulation. Have someone hold a good bright light, and even use magnifying glasses or reading glasses if you can, it's hard to spot hair and thread cause their fur hides it sometimes.

If there is hair or thread remove it carefully with something safe that won't nick the glider like a sewing seem ripper. Then slowly/gently message the limb and foot to get the blood flowing back.. Do NOT message it if you don't see anything cutting off circulation in case something is broken.

Watch it closely, take pics of it often, watch for color changes. If the tips of the toes or pad of the foot start turning black it's turning necrotic ( dead tissue)

If nothing is wrapped , look at your cage check for any rough spots, rust, broken bars, rough edges on toys etc, to see what else may have caused an injury.

Check to see if there is broken skin or a scratch or anything that may have gotten infected.

If you don't see anything visibly, ask the vet for an xray, perhaps he got snagged and twisted to free himself or something. What ever material the glider is in in that pic isn't glider safe material they get snagged on that stuff easily.

Edited by - Leela on Nov 12 2017 07:24:51 AM
Health related
Nov 12 2017
08:56:43 AM
Gami77 Joey Visit Gami77's Photo Album 16 Posts
Thank you so much for replying, I did what you mentioned above but unfortunately I can see neither wrapped threads nor visible cutting:( and I double checked the cage with my finger in case something might hurt him. Yes he usually get snagged!! I never thought of it as a bad material, thought it’s soft enough for him #128561;what kind of materials do you recommend?.
and I have a general question..In case his hand got twisted, do sugar gliders usually heal themselves or they should be treated?.

I’m really afraid the vet will mistaken his condition, but I’m taking him anyways and ask for x-ray, better safe than sorry. Thanks again.
Health related
Nov 12 2017
09:40:41 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
trimming his nails will help and should be done regardless of what material is used.

Anti pill fleece or blizzard fleece is what we use for cage sets, pouches, and bonding bags. They can still get snagged on fleece but it is safer than any other material.

Some cage sets will use fleece and cotton or flannel fabric, which is fine as long as it's sewn properly (cotton and flannel fray very easily and needs sewn a certain way to prevent fraying and loose threads )

If a limb gets broken or fractured.... a vet may let it heal on its own, or amputate it, it's really a case by case decision ( if there is infection or necrosis etc.)

I think I know of One person that successfully medically helped an injured limb without amputation, but I don't recall the specifics of the injury or the exact treatment they did.

Amputations ... I know it sounds like a horrible fate but really it's not. Gliders adapt very quickly and can still have very good quality of life and thrive once healed.

Make sure he is staying hydrated and as I said earlier keep pic documents of any more swelling or coloring changes (it may help the vet see whats been going on as it progresses ) It may not be anything serious, but the more info you document the easier it is for the vet to diagnose.
Health related
Nov 12 2017
12:15:43 PM
I’m just back from vet clinic, they told me his hand isn’t broken
but he might snatched his paw which caused the swelling, as you mentioned exactly, And they told me to massage it, press on it lightly and clean it with iodine frequently to prevent infection. If it’s got worse they’ll do for him a small surgery. I feel relieved now.. I will bring him the fleece fabric ASAP and I’ll keep pic documents as well in case color changes. Thanks a lot for helping I really appreciate it.
( here’s a clear picture of his paw, it might help others in case someone has the same problem * hopefully no one will*)

Health related
Nov 17 2017
09:31:10 AM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
How's his paw doing now?
Health related
Nov 18 2017
05:12:36 AM
Much better! The swelling began shrinking and it started to release pus .. thank you for asking
Swollen paw,help

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Swollen paw,help