Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Any hard evidence that grapes are actually harmful?
Food, Diet
Nov 13 2017
01:14:03 AM
I was skimming through past posts on feeding grapes and saw a lot of claims that they could be harmful, but they were mostly speculation based off of grapes being bad for other animals (animals that have very different diets than gliders), pesticide residue (quite possible and a concern for all produce fed, not just grapes), or anecdotes based on weak correlation.

Does anyone know of any conclusive proof that grapes are actually harmful to gliders, such as a study showing grapes or something in them was detrimental to sugar gliders or related animals with a similar diet, or an autopsy that found grapes to be the cause of death? I just got my new boys and they love grapes, obviously if it's harmful for them I don't want to be feeding it, but I'd hate to take away something they like based off of misinformation. I generally buy what's seasonal so it's not going to be a huge part of their diet anyway.

I am not trying to open this topic up again for argument, just wondering if anyone knows of any literature or anything like that that would back up the idea that grapes are bad.
Food, Diet
Nov 13 2017
06:23:56 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Nope. There is no scientific/medical proof that grapes are a danger to gliders.

When I got my first glider I read the same contradicting threads and info. For a long time I refused to feed grapes not because I thought they were a risk but because there wasn't any proof either way.

Grapes ARE part of the bml diet and have been feed long term with that diet with no documented issues in the last 15-20 yrs (how ever long bml has been around)

Nowadays, I don't intentionally buy a bag of grapes, but there are grapes in the fruit cups I use for my gliders so I do use them for the gliders. Most of mine don't like them much anyway but I do have a few that are eating them when offered.

Food, Diet
Nov 14 2017
12:19:37 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
nope, there's no hard evidence, just suspitions based on the fact that several animals (gliders but also dogs) who died from mysterious kidneys failures only had in common that they ate grapes a few hours before.
I do give grapes sometimes, but only in small quantity and without seeds.
Food, Diet
Mar 07 2018
03:50:45 PM
SookyandBogan Starting Member 6 Posts
I think the biggest concern with grapes is they are a dirty food. Meaning that they are small and can easily carry pesticides and other unhealthy things for gliders. My suggies love grapes and so I try to get organic and always make sure to wash them with lemon juice and peel them. This way I think it's a little bit safer and they are getting good nutrition
Food, Diet
Mar 09 2018
02:52:36 PM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by SookyandBogan

I think the biggest concern with grapes is they are a dirty food. Meaning that they are small and can easily carry pesticides and other unhealthy things for gliders. My suggies love grapes and so I try to get organic and always make sure to wash them with lemon juice and peel them. This way I think it's a little bit safer and they are getting good nutrition

That's a good point!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders