Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Traveling at night?
Traveling at night?
Question
Nov 14 2017
09:35:28 PM
So with Thanksgiving coming up I usually travel to see my family. They live about 6 hours away but sometimes with traffic the trip takes 8. We were planning to leave when my fiance gets off work around 7pm but then I remembered my suggies will wake up well before we make it. Is it possible to travel with them while they're awake and if yes, how? Or if we have to we can wait till the following morning I suppose. Any opinions are GREATLY appreciated- new suggie mom here :)

Edited by - Bear on Nov 14 2017 09:36:23 PM
Question
Nov 15 2017
09:51:37 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I would put them in our small pocket pets cage. We got one with the first 2 gliders we got from PP, and another when we rescued 1 that wasn't being cared for properly. we only keep the cages if our two bully gliders act up at night, or for trips. Otherwise they live in big critter nation cages.
but at night if they wake up they will want to move around, so some type of small cage seems to be in order.
Question
Nov 15 2017
10:01:43 AM
Bear Starting Member 4 Posts
And you think they will be okay moving around in a moving vehicle? I'm a bit concerned about like what if the car hits a bump and one of my babies gets hurt.
Question
Nov 15 2017
10:45:01 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Bear

And you think they will be okay moving around in a moving vehicle? I'm a bit concerned about like what if the car hits a bump and one of my babies gets hurt.

My wife usually just puts gizmo in her bra, lots of safety cushion. If it later at night and he starts coming out, he goes into bonding pouch.
We brought home 2 at night in a very small travel cage, gave them apples and some yogurt drops, they did fine for about 3 hour night trip.
Question
Nov 15 2017
12:18:11 PM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
I'd recommend a travel cage or a bonding pouch. When I picked up mine it got a bit late on the way home and one came out of the pouch and ran laps around the car. As cute as that was it's not that safe so I wouldn't really recommend that, distracted driving can be pretty dangerous and the little guys might get lost or squished between luggage, plus it could be a pain to try to catch them if they don't want to come back. Mine have done a few trips in the pouch already and were fine.

I wouldn't worry too much about bumps from the road, as long as you don't get into an accident or something like that they'll probably be okay. They live in trees in the wild and have to deal with occassional swaying from the wind, so a swinging pouch probably wouldn't be too detrimental for them. Give them something to nibble with moisture in it so they stay hydrated and they'll probably do fine.
Traveling at night?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Traveling at night?