Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Eating feces
Eating feces
Health related
Nov 14 2017
11:21:39 PM
My male Finn started eating feces today. His diet is OHPW. I follow the directions and feed enough for the three. It's the first time in about a year I've seen him eat poop. The first time he ate poop he wasn't on a good diet. It was instant hpw and I would add extra supplements. He only ate it that one time until today. I frequently hold them and play with them and he's never interested in the feces.

I was trimming Bell's nails and she pooped. It was orange from the sweet potato I fed them last night. He then began to eat it. Is he doing it out of malnutrition or is it because it was orange?
Health related
Nov 14 2017
11:49:30 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
are you feeding the sweet potato raw?
Health related
Nov 14 2017
11:51:08 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
Nope. I cook it in the microwave before feeding it to them.
Health related
Nov 14 2017
11:55:01 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
probably cause it was orange then.

Raw sweet potato has an enzyme that prevents the body from absorbing protein, cooking neutralizing the enzyme n makes it safe. I know of one other glider that would eat poo and it was from the raw sweet taters, as soon as she stopped feeding them raw the glider stopped eating the poo
Health related
Nov 14 2017
11:57:02 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
Ok. If he continues to eat it even when it's not orange would it be a sign of malnutrition? Or is it some what natural?
Health related
Nov 15 2017
10:54:52 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I don't know for sure about gliders, but my dang dogs can get poo eatin to an art. The older german shepard was kept in a small dirty cage when we got him, so dogs want their living space clean and can develop a habit of eating it. It took us about 6 months to break him of it, never caused health issues.
Our beagle will eat anything outside if I don't watch her, cricket, bugs, and the dang rabbit poo. Then get sick in the house.

I would keep an eye out for your glider doing it more, but sounds like its a sweet potato thing.
Eating feces

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Eating feces