Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonding question
Bonding question
Question
Nov 15 2017
08:03:02 PM
I keep reading about people bonding with there gliders in a tent or glider safe room like a bathroom. I have a spare bedroom that has been glider proofed and wanted to know how to proceed. My glider usually wakes up 9:30 at the earliest I head to bed 10:30-11 so there is not a lot of time to bond. Is it safe to remove my glider while he’s in his pouch and try to get him out while in glider room before his normal wake up time? I can occupy myself till he’s comfortable with me being in the room with him but what do I do to get him back to his cage? Will louring him back to the pouch with treats work? After I get him to his pouch he’ll be returned to his cage to play all night.
Question
Nov 16 2017
02:03:50 AM
Effsan Glider Visit Effsan's Photo Album 64 Posts
Hello Raidernation81,

I believe the main reason most of us choose to do bonding with tents or bathrooms because of the nature of restricted size tents / bathrooms gives, indirectly forcing our new glider to explore our existence, or off exploring the tents / bathrooms at a close proximity from our scent. This helps greatly in having the gliders get use to our presence and our scents.

A room might be too big to start bonding process with, too much space where the gliders can run far away from you.

quote:
"My glider usually wakes up 9:30 at the earliest I head to bed 10:30-11 so there is not a lot of time to bond. Is it safe to remove my glider while he’s in his pouch and try to get him out while in glider room before his normal wake up time?"

I used to do this, about 30mins before their waking time, removing the entire sleeping pouch with the gliders still in the pouch, bring them into the tent, put on my lab and pet them gently from the outside. if they wake up and comes out, i let them come out. if they stay sleeping in the pouch, i let them be. eventually they will come out and explore / play for awhile.

quote:
I can occupy myself till he’s comfortable with me being in the room with him but what do I do to get him back to his cage? Will louring him back to the pouch with treats work?

What works or not is very very subjective and dependent on each glider. I could pick up Effie and put her back in the cage anytime, no fuss. I spent months catching my Ellie with a piece of fleece to bring her back to the cage. A quick swoop down, covers her firmly and put the whole fleeceball into her chilling box in the cage. Then she'll crab and fight herself out of the fleece. She used to put up a fight. Now, can encourage her to hop onto my arm with some treats.

Edited by - Effsan on Nov 16 2017 02:07:18 AM
Question
Nov 16 2017
09:31:29 PM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
I think it's exactly what Effsan said, it depends on your glider. He may go for the treats or he may need to be caught a different way.

If he's hard to catch or not very tame or used to you a smaller area like a tent or bathroom makes it easier on you both when it comes time to put him away. A bedroom should work fine too, smaller spaces are just usually used at first for that reason. Regardless of how you catch him it's probably a good idea to give him a treat after you do so he associates it with something positive.

Edited by - Scoria on Nov 16 2017 09:32:45 PM
Question
Nov 17 2017
05:49:12 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I would take him in at 8:30. Once our gliders see a nice exploring area, most will wake up and explore, but hide the sleeping pouch. so by 10pm you should get some good bonding time in.
You may want to try to reduce the size of the room with barricades or something if possible to keep him closer to you, a new glider may run and hide if possible, reducing quality time with him.

Our gliders like their sleeping pouch and will usually get back in it, but it might take a few minutes and some patience, last resort is a medium size fleece over the hand, just grab him up and stuff him in the sleepin pouch, keep it closed and put him back in cage. (grabbing a running away glider can be hard and you want to aim at where they are heading, and be patient. sometime is takes a few grabs.)
Question
Dec 11 2017
12:49:21 PM
Raidernation81 Joey Visit Raidernation81's Photo Album 18 Posts
So I tied a small tent since the spare bedroom may have been to large. My glider played somewhat in the tent spent most of the time trying to find a way out. He did climb and crawl on me so I assume hes bonding a little bit more with me. The one problem I noticed is he would not take any treats either from my hand or ones I had laying out. Is he nervous in the new tent causing him to not take the treats? when in the cage he takes treats from my hand as well as through the cage with no issues at all.
Question
Dec 12 2017
06:08:34 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Raidernation81

So I tied a small tent since the spare bedroom may have been to large. My glider played somewhat in the tent spent most of the time trying to find a way out. He did climb and crawl on me so I assume hes bonding a little bit more with me. The one problem I noticed is he would not take any treats either from my hand or ones I had laying out. Is he nervous in the new tent causing him to not take the treats? when in the cage he takes treats from my hand as well as through the cage with no issues at all.

I would think the first time in tent had him confused, nervous and slightly scared so he was not interested in the treat but like you said, he was exploring the new tent and looking for a way back to comfortable area.
Bonding question

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonding question