Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Should I handle my glider when he is crabbing?
Question
Nov 19 2017
07:35:46 PM
Hey, I'm new to this, I just bought two sugar gliders named Mylo and Kiko and Mylo has seemed to have gotten used to me. I bought them two days ago and Mylo does not crab anymore and let's me pet him but still shy on the handling part. Kiko although is still very shy and scared since he is always crabbing as soon as I get near him, I just want to know if I should try and handle him regardless of him crabbing? Or should I just be patient and take it slow ?
Question
Nov 20 2017
10:56:01 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
i think taking it slow is best, but its also ok and good to do some bonding.
I would recommend "NOT HANDLING" them. but let them handle you. You petting is ok, but I feel its better to let them approach you.

I really like to sit in a small room and let them explore, most gliders will soon run on you and smell you. this is the beginning a good start. It may take 5 or 6 visits for them to start getting to close to you, specially babies. Treats help.

My wife likes either having them in bonding pouch or putting sleeping pouch on her lap and putting hand in with them so they sleep with her hand. but with new gliders they will bite you, so a bonding pouch is better with newer gliders.

I think being consistent and spending some time with him often is best, dont pick him up unless you need to put him in bonding pouch, let him walk on you when ready. But be in a glider safe room, he may go from your shoulder to down the hall real fast.
Question
Nov 20 2017
04:10:28 PM
MyloNKiko Starting Member 2 Posts
Thank you for replying, just one other question, it's okay to move them from sleeping pouch to bonding pouch when they're sleeping correct? I don't wanna stress them or agitate them more by waking them up and moving them to the other pouch
Question
Nov 20 2017
07:49:28 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I would just keep the disruption to a minimum. put them in bonding pouch and I like to do less work to start, watch tv, check out computer etc.
Ours are actually awake a good bit of the time, at night they will go back into the pouch after some eating and running and just hang out and groom.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders