Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Good stories on owning just a single glider?????
Information
Nov 24 2017
08:49:59 PM
Does anyone have any good stories about just owning one single glider? I took one in for someone that could not take care of hers anymore, and all the research I am doing is making it sound like he is miserable. He is 6. He seems happy. He's eating fine. He's already bonded to me where he sleeps on my shoulder and in my shirt. I honestly did not know what I was in for. I now stay up until after midnight just so he can play. I take him out and set up a safe area that he glides from one chair to another then to me .....Actually the funny thing is he was given to my young son, that was how little I knew about sugar gliders in the beginning, an 11 yr old can not take care of a nocturnal pet. I really love the lil guy, but I honestly don't want to take care of two... Not trying to sound mean, I have one child and didn't want two of those either..lol I would just like to hear some other positive stories that their gliders lived a full happy life as singles. I've literally read and watched videos of people talking about people who keep singles like they are animal abusers!
Information
Nov 25 2017
07:24:25 AM
grace3777 Starting Member 0 Posts
hi i just joined this site i have four suggies and one i took off someones hands a neutered black beauty male and he was alone and seemed perfectly fine he ran on his wheel ate all his food now he has a harem of three girls and sometimes when i watch them in the day he will run from one pouch to the other trying to find some peace and quiet while they follow him
Information
Dec 25 2017
12:02:30 AM
TwinArmageddons Joey 10 Posts
I had a single glider for a year. She was someone else’s in my class while I was in high school and they didn’t want her. She was malnourished and skinny and terrified of everything. I.T sounds like you have her pretty close to you which is good, because they are a very social animal. I never had any issues with having her by herself, she was always energetic and eating a ton and constantly purring. While it’s better to have two because they are social, I don’t see why a single one for now should be a problem.
Taking care of two isn’t much different than taking care of one. Only thing it adds to is double the love, double the fun, and double the food haha.
Information
Dec 26 2017
01:45:14 AM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
They don't necessarily NEED a friend if you are giving it the proper amount of socialization, which from the sounds of it you are. Giving him toys and stuff will also keep him entertained.

The best thing you can do is continue to socialize with him, get to know him, and do the best you can. If you see any signs of depression then get him a buddy or a new home. Until then he should be fine by himself.

By signs of depression I mean he's lethargic, not eating, over grooming, doing repeated actions, etc. And by repeated actions I mean things like going to the top of the cage and throwing themselves to the bottom then repeating, or running endlessly around the cage in the same repeating pattern.

And btw no, I personally do not have good stories about single gliders.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat