Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Neutering costs--HELP!!! SOS!!!
Health related
Dec 03 2017
04:02:31 PM
I need HELP!!! I've been reading a lot of the forums on here about total neutering costs (pre-exam, medication, neutering, post-exam) and based off of these posts, I have saved enough to get a father and his two older joeys that I rescued earlier this fall neutered. However, EVERY SINGLE VET that I have contacted that regularly treats gliders wants to charge me anywhere between $385 and $570 for total neutering fees PER GLIDER. I don't know if this is normal, but from all of the forums I have read on here, It seems like that is extremely high for a TOTAL cost PER GLIDER. I'm freaking out because I don't want the joeys to mature to the point of becoming territorial but i definitely don't have $2,000 to drop on this at the moment. I have recently relocated to Charlottesville, Virginia but am willing to drive almost as far as I can to find a qualified vet that can keep my babies healthy for a reasonable price. I think the reason these vets may be charging so much is that there isn't much competition in the exotic vet field. I'm not sure, just need help majorly. Are there any vets that you guys have experience with (maybe in Richmond, Lynchburg, Blacaksburg areas?) that aren't over charging? Thank you so so much!
Health related
Dec 04 2017
12:34:06 PM
Coreymycat Joey Visit Coreymycat's Photo Album 36 Posts
My vet in Ohio said that they would charge around 200 for my male glider.
Health related
Dec 04 2017
06:26:23 PM
klfgliders Starting Member 6 Posts
Was that for total cost of everything, or just the operation?
Health related
Dec 06 2017
11:56:45 AM
lfr899 Glider Visit lfr899's Photo Album USA 58 Posts
Im in florida and ive paid as much as 500 for my first male.20 years ago.and 157 out the door for the last male..four years ago
Health related
Dec 06 2017
12:00:47 PM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
Okay, that seems ridiculously high. I live in a small area without many exotic vets, and a nearby vet quoted me $40 for a neuter, all medicines etc. included. (Seems ridiculously low, I know, but I just called them to double-check and that is indeed the price. It is a pretty simple procedure and they are small animals and require very small does of medicine, so I guess they are just being very fair.) Mine came to me already neutered, and I believe their last owner paid $200 a piece for them to be neutered. It was a fancy laser procedure at a teaching hospital, though.

Try vets in surrounding areas. It might be worth the drive to get a better price.

Edited by - Scoria on Dec 06 2017 12:18:26 PM
Health related
Dec 06 2017
09:57:46 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Neutering costs vary, depending on a lot of things, including but not limited to Experience, equipement, location, preference of method by the vet.

I'm also in fla. In a 3 hour radious from me neuters are $78.00 in lakeland for traditional pom on, starting at $700.00 in Tampa not even sure what method they do because the cost was so outrageous I was dumbfounded. $45.00 somewhere near springhill for lazer pom off $70 something in Fortmyers lazer pom off.

Sometimes vet charge so much simply because they don't want to do them and if their rates are high enough people will go elsewhere whether that is because of lack of experience with neuters or previous complications for neuters I don't know.

Sometimes they are trying to recoup the cost of the equipement. I have a fantastic local vet that doesn't do neuters at all because their office won't approve spending the money on the lazer equipement ( runs around 30 grand I think )

It would certainly be nice if neuters averaged the same price accross the country like dogs n cats, that isn't likely to happen any time soon though. Sure would have a lot less back yard breeding and inbreeding if neuters were more affordable.

My advice for the OP, go on facebook, ask around in some groups for vet references in your area or however far your willing to drive

Health related
Dec 06 2017
10:20:29 PM
klfgliders Starting Member 6 Posts
Thanks guys! I was just dumbfounded by how expensive it all seemed. Got another quote back today for a price range of $780-840 PER GLIDER. It took a lot of searching, messaging, and email correspondence, but I may have just found one. Amherst Vets is about an hour away from me and I've been emailing the office manager who is saying $110 for pre-exam, anesthesia, and the operation. The only addition cost would be take-home medications I believe. I'm a little worried that there will be some surprise fees once I get there, but according to locals they are amazing with gliders so I think I'm going to take the gamble and schedule with them.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders