Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Is a glider right for me?
Question
Dec 03 2017
05:13:47 PM
So my fiancé and I were shopping today and came across Pocket Pets in a mall. After talking with the guy we walked away to give it some thought. After looking up the company we decided against getting one from that seller. However, we're still interested in getting a few but have some questions.

1. How loud are they during the night? Sleeps pretty important with the work I'm in.

2. My work schedule is pretty different. I work 10-12 24 hour shifts a month (not in a row). I know they require a good amount of attention so I want to make sure that's okay.

3. Aside from the attention they require, how would you rate the level of their care? I've owned a good number of reptiles in the past, but these are a new world to me.

4. I would like to get two females if I can. I'm reading that they will be the least smelly. Is it possible to keep them without any smell?

Thanks for the help!
Question
Dec 03 2017
06:22:30 PM
Suggiebear97 Starting Member Visit Suggiebear97's Photo Album 9 Posts
I have 6 gliders so I might be able to help :)

1. Mine aren't noisy at all, they do bark sometimes during the night but most nights they don't. This really depends on the individual glider, I wouldn't keep them in your room. If you have a spare bedroom to keep them in then you wouldn't be able to hear them if they did bark.

2. I play with mine everyday- every other day. As long as your getting them out every other day and spending a few hours with them they will bond to you and be fine :) and since your getting more than 1 they will have each other.

3. The cage needs to be fairly big. For example mines 6ft by 4ft. Cleaning the cage is rather easy as well. It will need to be cleaned at least once a week.

4. All sugar gliders do have a smell but if you have females and fixed males the smell won't be near as bad. But there is no way to eliminate the smell completly.

5. One big thing I would advise that I didn't see in your post is that they require a specific diet. I would do BML or HPW. You can't just feed them pellets and fruits. They need a balanced diet that is fed to them every night. I use BML!

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask :)
Question
Dec 04 2017
09:38:32 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by mlsracer

So my fiancé and I were shopping today and came across Pocket Pets in a mall. After talking with the guy we walked away to give it some thought. After looking up the company we decided against getting one from that seller. However, we're still interested in getting a few but have some questions.

1. How loud are they during the night? Sleeps pretty important with the work I'm in.

Mine are in the other room, I rarely hear them at night, but sometimes I can hear barking if house is very quite. In the same room, running on wheels, running around cage, jumping and landing can make noise but nothing terrible. Only real lous noise is if they squabble, they can make a very loud noise for a few seconds, out link gets bullied by mary some nights and he makes a very loud noise to tell her to go away. It lasts for 3 to 6 seconds.

2. My work schedule is pretty different. I work 10-12 24 hour shifts a month (not in a row). I know they require a good amount of attention so I want to make sure that's okay.

The more time you can give them the better, but if you have several they will have each other to sleep with and keep company.

3. Aside from the attention they require, how would you rate the level of their care? I've owned a good number of reptiles in the past, but these are a new world to me.

Food preparation is the longest, but I make for 11. so 4 to 6 liters of OHPW per batch, 4 gallons of veggies, 2 gallons fruits, cleaning 4 kitchens with food holders every night. cage cleanup is not bad, you shouldn't clean the whole cage anyway.

4. I would like to get two females if I can. I'm reading that they will be the least smelly. Is it possible to keep them without any smell?

Animals smell, dogs, cats, etc. I don't think they smell hardly at all compared to a ferret, I can smell a strong ferret scent from 2 feet away at petstore. I can pick one glider up and give a big smell and very little scent, but I have NO unneutered males. During trips on my shoulder to kitchen they get live mealworms, this will cause them to poo during this trip lots of times, sometimes the poo pellet is pretty stinky but its solid and goes right in the trashcan. We have a few they like to pee on you as soon as they are on you, at times this very small amount of liquid is almost odorless and at times is strong.
Cage from across room is not smelly, when I walk by it and can smell a medium odor I know its been a week or so and cage needs to be clean.

Thanks for the help!

Question
Dec 04 2017
09:54:04 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts

I think the big thing to remember is they are NOT cats or dogs.

1. Most don't want to be picked up, but well bonded gliders don't care if they do.
you are better off just putting your arm/hand out and letting them walk onto you.

2. they can take a long time to bond. they are very scared of the large animal they think wants to eat them, so trust/bonding can take time/months.

3. they don't care if you are petting them, dogs and cats can LIKE being petted, our gliders that are NOT super bonded don't want to be petted. Our bonded gliders will let you pet them just fine, mostly.

4. day time is sleep time, you won't see them, probably won't hear them. AWAKE/ACTION/PLAYTIME/LOOKATME TIME starts about 9:30pm for our first glider and ends about 8am our late to bed gliders. So interaction time is best during these times, otherwise they will just sleep in your shirt/bra/bonding pouch during daytime, you want your pet to just be something sleeping in your shirt a few hours during the day?
Question
Dec 04 2017
02:29:50 PM
mlsracer Starting Member 3 Posts
Thanks for all the help everyone. I'll take all the advice I can get.

How would you rate the level of care they require? I've seen places say they're easy and some say they're very hard. I'm honestly not sure what to think. It seems like the hardest part of their care is the diet.
Question
Dec 04 2017
10:25:06 PM
Wishes Joey Visit Wishes's Photo Album 41 Posts
Everyone of them is different I hear some are shy and stay with you and don't explore, but you should expect them to:

sleep all day maybe let you pet them in pouch and take a treat or two

At night they run jump bite everything like a kitten on all the crack in the world
They are small and get in to everything
Most of play time is finding what I missed glider proofing the room
Vet bills are expensive, think twice or more what you pay for them if they get hurt

if that doesn't sound like fun thin maybe not the pet for you

Food is not to hard bml (what I feed ) takes a few minutes to blend freeze and scoop nightly add fruits and veggies

The best parts are
chasing a scrap of paper as you drag it on the ground till they find your fingers lol (they draw blood easy) their teeth are really sharp sometimes it doesn't even hurt I'm just bleeding.

When they start to trust you and jump on you if something scary happens, it's super cute how they hide and peek at what ever it was.
Maybe even let you pet them as they bite the holly crap out of something that isn't your hand.
When they really love you they will pee on you, in your hair, several sports on your pants and/or shirt, that's when they start biting less.
I love mine but I wish someone had told me those things first not that it would have changed my mind
I have lots of pets that want to bite my face off lol
Not to discourage you from getting them
just my experiences yours might be different

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders