Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Neutering?????
Neutering?????
Health related
Dec 06 2017
10:54:59 PM
After reading through a lot of these, I’m concerned? I have two boys, brothers and have always been together, but neither are fixed. Is that going to cause problems????
Health related
Dec 08 2017
11:03:42 AM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
If they're related and have always lived together, it's possible they could live out their days in harmony without ever being neutered. It's not unheard of. Whether they do or not depends on your gliders.

Many recommend neutering because unneutered gliders living apart from females can become sexually frustrated and harm themselves, and unneutered gliders are more aggressive and could harm themselves or the other, but again this depends on the glider. If they've always been together then the chances of conflict are much lower, especially if they're both already mature and have established their pecking order.

If your boys aren't having any problems then I wouldn't worry too much about them. Just keep an eye out for any self-mutilation or aggressive/dominating behavior resulting in injury or stress. If that happens neutering may be in order, but if they are having no problems they're probably fine as is. If this does ever happen and you end up neutering try to get pom off neuters, pom on leaves them with some male hormones and behaviors and won't help as much.

How old are they and how long have they been together? If they're both mature and getting along then they'll probably continue to do so, although sudden squabbles among longtime cagemates are still possible even among neutered males.

Edited by - Scoria on Dec 08 2017 11:06:06 AM
Health related
Dec 11 2017
12:57:12 PM
lfr899 Glider Visit lfr899's Photo Album USA 58 Posts
Just remember..unneutered males smell more than neutured male...just my opinion. .and ive been a glider mom for over 20 years. But if you ever want to rescue a female..please be smart and neuter..others...babies!! Lol
Health related
Dec 12 2017
12:35:51 AM
TwinArmageddons Joey 10 Posts
They’re about 6months old? Maybe 7. They play fight here and there, nothing really mean. When they do get a little rambunctious I usually just hang up the other pouch and they sleep separated. They’ve been together since birth basically, from what I’ve been told by the breeder I got them from. Only time they fight though is if one has something the other wants. Which is funny because I make sure to put multiples of everything so they won’t fivht over it haha.

But thanks for the advice! I didn’t know there was a difference in neutering types?
Neutering?????

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Neutering?????