GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New Sugar Mum
New Sugar Mum
Food, Diet
Dec 07 2017
07:19:04 AM
Hi Guys,

I am a new mum of two adorable Suggies, we have a girl and a boy (Evie and Hans) and we have only had them a couple of weeks.
I just wanted to check I have their diet sorted. I have read millions of different contradicting post about their diet the vet says they are nice and healthy but I just wanted to check with more experienced Mums and Dads.
At the moment their diet is as follows....
Instant HPW powder which I freeze into cubes and they get one between them each night.
Sugar gliders complete pellets which I only put a couple of in their cage during the day in case they wake up hungry.
They also then get a mix of 3 or so fresh fruits and veggies for example cabbage, sweet potatoes, apples and broccoli. Theu also get egg and meal worms.I so put some glider boost calcium powder in with their food three times a week.
They are both eating fine and they love their papaya and yogurt drop treats. I just wanted to check that I have not missed anything important out of their diet. I was spot of posts which has confused me greatly...any adds advice or reassurance would be great...thanks everyone!!
Food, Diet
Dec 07 2017
07:42:21 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
You seem to be feeding them well.

1. I have read some have concern over INSTANT hpw, the chemicals to keep the egg and honey a powder some think could be bad for gliders. I started with instant, but found its cheaper, and only a little harder to make OHPW.

2. I was told on another forum that HPW does NOT call out for added calcium because it has enough already in it. But you need to follow your diets instructions.

3. I would suggest going to critterlove.com and making up one of their 5 salad mixes, these mixes are balanced in the nutrients. these salads are made to go with critterlove instant or plus hpw.

4. I have read pellets are bad, dry and hard on the gliders, then after more research Happy Glider cereal is offered by critterlove, is suppose to be good for their teeth and healthy for them, specially alongside a good diet.

I read an animal planet book on gliders.(dont have details I gave the book to someone else, but I have posted its information in the past) It stated that gliders in their natural habitat have the biggest problems with starvation and predators. So I really feel if you are providing a BIG cage, with some outside of cage time, and a good diet hpw/bml etc. then you are being a good glider owner and giving them a safe place to live their 12 years, instead of 6 years in the wild.

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Dec 07 2017 07:44:35 AM
Food, Diet
Dec 07 2017
08:23:29 AM
Trashpanda44 Starting Member 2 Posts
Thanks for that! I really appreciate the feedback :)
I thought the same about the calcium but the vet said I should add another calcium supplement. I will see how it goes.
They seem happy and both are eating most of their food each night I just keep seeing posts of people blending all their veg and fruit and giving it to them like that, is there any advantage to this, I am just cutting up veg and fruit each night.
Food, Diet
Dec 07 2017
01:33:26 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Trashpanda44

Thanks for that! I really appreciate the feedback :)
I thought the same about the calcium but the vet said I should add another calcium supplement. I will see how it goes.
They seem happy and both are eating most of their food each night I just keep seeing posts of people blending all their veg and fruit and giving it to them like that, is there any advantage to this, I am just cutting up veg and fruit each night.

do NOT blend up veggies, and fruits probably a bad idea.
glider take what they can digest chew it up, spit out hard remainder.
by blending it up you remove their ability to eat what they should and spit out
what they don't want or CAN NOT digest.
again, like in the wild, nobody cuts up the apples or trees, for them.
Mine eat the INSIDE of the pea, leave the outside.
Mine eat the inside of the green bean, leave the outside.

they eat fruits like human, no seeds, but leave the skin if you would eat it.
papaya skin in trash, pear skin in eating bowl.

if you trust the vet, I would follow his advice.
our first vet charged $100, looked at us crazy when we asked them to cut our first gliders nails, the assistant was lost. And she gave us almost a pocket pets diet.

Our second glider vet charges $47 for one visit unlimited gliders. TWO of them have long time glider experience, knew how to handle and pick up the glider. And the information saw given like they knew what they are talking about.

My wife and I should go back to first vet and teach them how to cut glider nails we are gittin good at it. I still get more nervous then her sometimes.
Food, Diet
Dec 08 2017
12:16:40 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
BYK gave great suggestions, I just wanted to add that there is no need to offer egg along with other sources of protein.
New Sugar Mum

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New Sugar Mum