Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonded Pair Eating Issues
Food, Diet
Dec 08 2017
02:59:38 AM
Eleanor and Pepper have been living together for about three months now. For the past week or so, I've noticed that Ellie seems thinner than Pepper does. They seemed to be about the same weight when we first got them and had them meet, and Pepper is the about the same, she seems to be a really healthy weight. Ellie is a bit of a picky eater, while Pepper will eat anything. We give them a wide variety of lots to eat every night and it's all gone in the morning. I'm worried Ellie isn't getting much of it. Is there a way I can make sure they each get enough food without having to separate them? I also have noticed that when I feed them mealworms, if I don't give Pepper hers first she will take Ellie's. The only way to.make sure they each get enough is by holding them separately during bonding time and feeding them the mealworms.
Food, Diet
Dec 08 2017
10:19:01 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
If one of our gliders is eating dried or live mealworm and another one isn't, then he is trying to STEAL it away. there is always stealing going on, gizmo finishes his first isn't getting one from me, he's looking to see if anyone else has one to steal.

For $20 you can get a nice flat scale that measures in grams. Mine seems to get dead batteries to often, but gliders should weight in a range for males and females.

I've seen up to 160 grams for males.

www.sugarglider.com/gliderpedia/index.asp?Weight

Our Link is about 160 grams, while mary is about 70 grams. Other gliders are a wide range of weights, some have gained and some have lost alittle weight over time.
Food, Diet
Dec 08 2017
11:18:06 AM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
Try feedimg them in two separate places in the cage, as far apart as possible. Then the bigger one can't physically hog all the food and chase the other away, so she'll get a chance to eat too. Maybe also feed them more, it's possible they're not getting enough, but if you do keep an eye on their weights to make sure they don't get obese. Mine can get quite greedy with the food when they're hungry and will steal from each other or grab the other's face and shove him back in the pouch when I'm offering tidbits.

It's also possible Ellie just isn't feeling well if this has only been noticable in the past week or so. Watch and see if she's eating normally when she gets a chance to, it may be she needs a vet visit.

Edited by - Scoria on Dec 08 2017 11:20:42 AM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders