Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Cage mate died. Now what?
Question
Dec 12 2017
01:39:17 AM
Hi, I had a bonded pair(male and female), and a single male glider (long long long story, I promise I'm looking for a friend but I just rescued him; in the mean time he spends literally 24/7 with me.) Now I only have two singles. The pair was about the same age, 8 or 9 so they're older, but have been together their whole life. And the single is about 4. The female is alive still and obviously upset. She let me console her a little bit (which is rare because she HATES being held) and is now searching for her buddy.

What do I do? How long do I let her grieve? Should I wash all the bedding and extra deep clean the cage so that the old male gliders scent is gone? Should I try and find another home for her? Do you think the younger male and her could bond? I've "introduced" them before and it went very well between the female and younger male but the bonded older male was obviously pissed about it and tried to fight the younger male.

I just am at a loss as to what to do. Should I keep something that smells like the older male to comfort her? Or will that prolong her depression? Any and all advice will help. I'm out of my depth right now and really upset that my glider has passed.
Question
Dec 12 2017
06:04:35 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I would scent swap and then introduce the 2 females.
Don't be in a rush if you think there maybe issues.
I think the two would happy and excited to have a buddy.
That has been our experience in most glider introductions specially smaller
groups.
Question
Dec 13 2017
07:28:16 AM
BranWilslore Joey Visit BranWilslore's Photo Album 20 Posts
Thanks Byk. I had actually been scent swapping since I got the single glider in hopes that one day they would get along so thankfully they do know eachother to a certain extent already. I tried tent time together last night and it went REALLY well. No fighting. A little bit of grooming. And lots of cuddles. I think it will work out #128522;
Question
Dec 13 2017
03:57:36 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by BranWilslore

Thanks Byk. I had actually been scent swapping since I got the single glider in hopes that one day they would get along so thankfully they do know eachother to a certain extent already. I tried tent time together last night and it went REALLY well. No fighting. A little bit of grooming. And lots of cuddles. I think it will work out #128522;

The introductions I have read say to put them, if introductions go well, in the same scent-free right away. it is best NOT to separate gliders with new friends, they claim the separation again will cause stress at losing their new buddy, but I think that is overblown some, gliders like many animals are resilient, but if they get alone well I would put them together soon, then try to keep an eye on them some the first few nights, have cage near your bed, so if they do fight, it would be at night most likely, you can separate them if needed. But from there meeting you describe, sounds like they should be fine.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders