Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
DIY dry food for 2 days?
DIY dry food for 2 days?
Food, Diet
Dec 23 2017
11:27:05 AM
So i'm finally able to take my 2 boys with me to my student room so they don't have to be kept at my parents' house where they aren't let out of their enclosure much. The only problem is that I go to my parents in the weekend every two weeks. They're both really calm and travelling with them has never really been a problem, but I don't think it's a good idea to take them with me in very crowded, 2.5-hour train rides. Is it a good idea to give them dry food for 2 days so they can just walk freely in my room while I'm gone? And if so, what would be the best way to make dry food myself?
Food, Diet
Dec 24 2017
11:04:08 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
since no one has responded I will give it my thoughts.

allowing the gliders room roaming for two days sounds risky. they are very curious animals, power outlets can be dangerous, and overall seems safer to just let them suffer for two days in a cage. IF they get lots of time outside of cage with you at home, then two days inside cage shouldn't that bad for them and if they have wheel they will get in some exercise.

critterlove.com offers two items.
1. freeze dried items - should be NO EXTRA sugar.
2. happy glider cereal.

these two items should not spoil in two days.

I would probably leave out HPW for the first night (friday night, if I had to do this)

I would consider a nice glider carry bag for the train rides, so you could take them if you want to. 2.5 hours is not to long, our gliders sleep with the TV on, kids being noisy, dogs barking if someone knocks on the door, and me coming home from work and waking them for a minute to say hello. If the crowded train is a danger to their safety I would then maybe not take them.

Food, Diet
Dec 26 2017
11:03:40 AM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I have to agree with BYK. I wouldn't want to risk the free-room-roaming personally with my gliders, even if I believed I had it all glider proofed. I will not let my gliders free-roam without my supervision.

The train ride every other weekend shouldn't be an issue, especially since you mentioned they travel well. It would be a different story if you were disrupting their sleep every day, but on an every-other (two week) schedule, 2.5 hrs of sleep disruption isn't going to be harmful. They are fairly resilient creatures anyway, and yours may even sleep during some of the ride, just make sure they're secure and on you.
DIY dry food for 2 days?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
DIY dry food for 2 days?