Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Worried about neutered glider trying to mate again
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jan 01 2018
09:21:51 PM
Hello there! So to make a long story short, I rescued 6 sugar gliders (4 boys 2 girls) from a bad breeding situation and just recently got two neutered (which I rehomed to a lovely Home!) and had set up an appointment to neuter the last two. Literally 3 days before the surgery, one of the boys sadly killed and ate one of my girls (which the previous owner had assumed was pregnant). Her pouch was ripped open, her eyes were gone, and all he left me was her skin. It was just absolutely traumatizing and heartbreaking, I was inconsolable that night. I was stupid to believe the prev. Owner who told me that keeping them all together would be okay since they were such a “tightly knit family unit”.
Fast forward to two weeks ago- I finally got the boys neutered but now my last little female is alone since I have them separated right now. I’m so worried to put them back together and for something bad to happen. My vet told me it would be okay to do it but I’m still SUPER worried. Plus, I don’t know if they will try to mate with her. I’m worried if they do, that they will get aggressive with her and hurt her too.
I know I sound paranoid but I just don’t want to take any risks. What do I do?

Edited by - SugarSourPatchGliders on Jan 01 2018 09:22:34 PM
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jan 08 2018
10:15:49 PM
Tabbie Glider Visit Tabbie's Photo Album 64 Posts
It’s rare for gliders to eat each other unless the glider being eaten is dead or dying. It’s possible that she had a pregnancy gone wrong that was killing her. From the sounds of it that may be the case.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jan 08 2018
10:20:28 PM
Tabbie Glider Visit Tabbie's Photo Album 64 Posts
And we have one neutered male, he doesn’t try mating at all. I doubt they will since they can’t reproduce anymore. I’m so sorry for that traumatic experience. :( a good way to ease your mind of putting them together again would be to put them together on nights you can stay up with them and continually monitor their behavior until you’re comfortable.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders