Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Is this normal? (Glider introductions)
Question
Jan 04 2018
03:04:56 PM
So im trying to slowly introduce my male and female together and they met 5 times and were hissing and doing that little 'tch' sound. They'd never run away from eachother often though. They also often grabbed at one another. (My male wasn't fixed at the time and they both had long nails so i assume they were just sticking eachother?) Anyway not my male is newly neutered and i met them up. Currently theyre in my sleeve together and they seldom hiss and tch, in fact i think theyre cuddling? But my only concern is that my female is biting my male and his scent glands? Or maybe shes nibbling it i dont know. Theyre all over eachother and i dont know if its good or bad because occasionally ill hear a tch but it never goes on for long. Should i be concerned?
Question
Jan 04 2018
10:56:04 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
according to the introductions I have read, once you put the two together and they DON"T fight, you need to leave them together.
is your female biting your male or grooming him? grooming is normal.

Our gliders tch in the pouch a pretty good amount. A foot in face, a glider move around and a sleeping one gets upset maybe, or to hard grooming?

if they are NOT fighting or doing nasty chasing around cage during the NIGHT when they are awake, I feel they should be fine.
But you have to keep an eye on them and make sure they are not hurting each other and then use your best judgement.
most of our gliders are happy to have more friends to be with and sleep with at night.
Question
Jan 07 2018
01:54:53 PM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
Mine are a father son neutered pair who have always been together and they still often "TCH" at each other when in the sleeping pouch getting comfy, they're just having a disagreement and never injure each other or actually fight, so I'd say it's normal, at least for mine. As long as no one is getting injured they're probably fine.
Question
Jan 13 2018
10:20:42 PM
SELESTE98 Starting Member 3 Posts
I’ve had my female glider since she was 8 weeks old she’s almost a year old now , a few weeks ago I got a make glider but he is already a year old. I housed them separately until one night he escaped and they’ve been together ever since. But lately they make that “tch” sound very loudly and my female is making teeth chattering sounds and she’s never done that before I check on them constantly to see if they have any injuries and they look perfectly fine but I am so confused on what to do. The male is nutured my female is not. She also used to bark all the time before I bought him and now she doesn’t. They are eating and look healthy but I’m not sure if I should separate them I don’t want them to become depressed
Question
Jan 13 2018
11:42:05 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by SELESTE98

I’ve had my female glider since she was 8 weeks old she’s almost a year old now , a few weeks ago I got a make glider but he is already a year old. I housed them separately until one night he escaped and they’ve been together ever since. But lately they make that “tch” sound very loudly and my female is making teeth chattering sounds and she’s never done that before I check on them constantly to see if they have any injuries and they look perfectly fine but I am so confused on what to do. The male is nutured my female is not. She also used to bark all the time before I bought him and now she doesn’t. They are eating and look healthy but I’m not sure if I should separate them I don’t want them to become depressed

I'm thinking seperating them will be what makes them depressed, as they will no longer have a friend to curl up and sleep with - I have read that depression in gliders is a very overblown idea, we have connor alone, we got him as a single, and will try to put him in with the colony soon, but for now he is alone, vet approved healthy, eats well, runs on wheel all the time at night, is starting to settle down around us, he seems happy healthy and in great shape.
A "tch" in pouch happens all the time for us, we have 7 in one pouch/cage. they move around and let each other know when not happy.
I think if they are NOT fighting let them stay together.
We have had GUS over a year and his is a teeth chatter, our only one, but he teeth chatters all time, I think he only stops while sleeping.
Females do NOT get Neutered, their parts are to small to do. Only males get neutered.
Barking is a very unknown behavior, but if we have one bark the rest freeze and stop moving, it seems more like a danger warning for ours. I would think if your glider is barking less, she has a friend and is feeling safer.

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Jan 13 2018 11:45:38 PM
Question
Jan 13 2018
11:55:06 PM
SELESTE98 Starting Member 3 Posts
Thank you! Well I just had fed them and they seemed fine together they didn’t fight over the food or anything, just happy chirping noises#128522; I’m new to having my two gliders since before my female was alone. It’s something to get used to as I’m still having some trouble getting the male to bond with me

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders