Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Cage set up questions
Cage set up questions
Question
Jan 08 2018
01:34:21 PM

The photos show how my cage is set up as of right now I was wondering if it was recommended that I take out the middle floor so that my Sugie has more space in the cage to Glide. I also was wondering if anybody had suggestions on specific types of wheels that she might actually use because I've had a few different types in her cage and she doesn't seem to be interested in any of them. I was also wondering what people would suggest as to types of toys to use in the cage for her that she might actually play with. One of the photos shows some links I have to use for hanging toys. I've been interested in getting her more hanging pouches etc. But I've been afraid to because all the ones shes had before she tore up and at one time she got fluff and string from one bed wrapped around her paw and we thought she might lose her paw but thankfully she eventually healed up just fine.
Food, Diet
Jan 08 2018
01:56:18 PM
ptamom Glider Visit ptamom's Photo Album 145 Posts
I am sorry but I do not see the photos but thought I may give you some help about what I use for my gliders.

I have these 2 wheels for my gliders:

Silent Wheel with sandpaper for nails
1)www.exoticnutrition.com/Products/Silent-Runner-Wheel-12-(Regular)__43673.aspx?gclid=Cj0KCQiAyszSBRDJARIsAHAqQ4qrkcGFoNyJFpSDocTii-z91f46Bkk3J5tHB15QA8fC6gvefQ3irTgaAn9QEALw_wcB

Green Wheel that goes really fast (can't locate item as it was given to me by prior owner)A pic is listed under my album

My gliders don't really like to play with toys but here are a few suggestions:
www.spoiledrottensuggies.com/custom-toys
www.critterlove.com/store/c5/Toys_Galore_.html

Some of the toys I consider expensive so I use them as a template and make my own toys. I got supplies from the dollar store or ebay.

I would go on Etsy and look at the cage sets. I am having Dawn make some with the fleece that I bought (intended on doing it myself).

Go under photos and take a look at my photos (not many there and I don't know how to post a pic here. ptamom album)

Edited by - ptamom on Jan 08 2018 02:02:47 PM
Question
Jan 08 2018
06:50:18 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
The newest wheels I got are
Freedom wheels from attic worx $40 and with sandpapar $50.
I use 1 wheel for every 2 gliders.
I had one wheel of the standard kind go bad out of 3, the lid is from a 5 gallon bucket and it cracked (these wheels are stealth, raptor, custom cuiser. these are very good wheels, but the setup can lead to cracking, but they are fast and NO NOISE while running very very quite.)
The freedom wheel is all in one melted together, I have only had them about 4 months but they are both still working fine. As of now this is the only wheel I plan to buy. another reason I buy these now is they dont have the standard seal with glue that can weaken with cleaning so I think they will last longer.

The wheel you are using is NOT good, a danger to the gliders tail...so I have been told.

I would remove the center part of your cage, if you look at my cage I have completely removed the center pieces.

A cool toy it takes them time sometimes to play with is a whiffle ball filled with strips of fleece, leave a few pieces slightly out. they will pull out the fleece, then you have to repack it the next day.

I would suggest hanging a few cups around the top of the cage and fill with a treat or 2 so they will forge for the goodies.
Question
Jan 08 2018
09:07:15 PM
Beenabeth Joey Visit Beenabeth's Photo Album USA 20 Posts
She doesn't care to use the wheel at all..I've had a couple others also but she never liked them either. If you click on the icon of Mona Lisa next to my name it should show my photos. I also have a few other things I've bought for her cage also like a coconut hanging but with ladder hanging ffrom the opening and some other toy things. My problem is also the fact of not having a ton of money to spend on items, that's why I have the wheels that I do have cuz they were cheap or free. I also have the rolling plastic ball toy that she loves to run around my house in. I was also wondering if I got her a new friend what gender would be the best

Edited by - Beenabeth on Jan 08 2018 09:12:32 PM
Question
Jan 09 2018
10:39:47 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Beenabeth

She doesn't care to use the wheel at all..I've had a couple others also but she never liked them either. If you click on the icon of Mona Lisa next to my name it should show my photos. I also have a few other things I've bought for her cage also like a coconut hanging but with ladder hanging ffrom the opening and some other toy things. My problem is also the fact of not having a ton of money to spend on items, that's why I have the wheels that I do have cuz they were cheap or free. I also have the rolling plastic ball toy that she loves to run around my house in. I was also wondering if I got her a new friend what gender would be the best

I haven't seen gender matter much, but most of our rescues have at least one male or one female in the group, all neutered.
I have been told NOT to use the rolling ball (hamster toy) with gliders, the small openings are dangerous to nails. best idea is to try to make a room safe and if bonded to you let them run around the room, bonded gliders will come back, specially for a treat. I shake the container and the noise attracts them like flies. Just make sure they can't hide in room where you cant get them, and a few dollars will get you power outlet covers (baby proof ones)

Question
Jan 09 2018
04:36:27 PM
quote:

I understand about the money and you are showing that you care.

I have some goodies to make toys, bonding pouches, etc.. that I am more than willing to send to you. It will be your responsiblity to create the toys; a quick search on Pinterest).

If you would like the items, them "pm" me.
Question
Jan 12 2018
02:18:47 PM
Riconlilomommy Joey Visit Riconlilomommy's Photo Album DE, USA 35 Posts
I have the same cage for my pair and I removed the middle piece and they are so much happier to be able to climb up the sides and jump back n forth. I have made several toys for them. Pompom pit can be made for two dollars from small basket n bag of pompoms from dollar store. You can bend wire hanger into a circle and tie small fleece strips in knots all the way around wire.
Question
Jan 14 2018
10:03:31 AM
Sugie hasn't seemed to have any problems with using the rolling ball that I've noticed, but I'm not completely bonded with her enough to let her out on her own nor do I have a room capable of letting her run around in at the moment. I use to let her out and run around my bedroom but she was hard to catch cuz she would hide from me or when I'd coax her with a treat she'd dart away, I've not tried letting her run around the room freely again since she's became slightly more bonded with me. I'm trying to figure out how to minimize the biting she's does a lot to peoples fingers or hands because a lot of times its just nibbling but sometimes she bites hard enough to bruise or break the skin and I have a almost 3yo stepson who is obsessed with her but I'm afraid to let him have much to do with her cuz I don't want her to accidentally try to nibble him and he get hurt and then become afraid of her. He does enjoy feeding her fruit treats or wormies through the cage or while we hold her. I also wondered a couple other things like, how much light is too much to have on while interacting with her and does it actually hurt them or just make it hard for them to see as well? Also I was curious as to how people cut their nails and how often and if I got the wheel with the sandpaper and she actually used it, would I need to worry about cutting her nails any
Question
Jan 14 2018
10:50:31 PM
quote:

Sugie hasn't seemed to have any problems with using the rolling ball that I've noticed, but I'm not completely bonded with her enough to let her out on her own nor do I have a room capable of letting her run around in at the moment. I use to let her out and run around my bedroom but she was hard to catch cuz she would hide from me or when I'd coax her with a treat she'd dart away, I've not tried letting her run around the room freely again since she's became slightly more bonded with me. I'm trying to figure out how to minimize the biting she's does a lot to peoples fingers or hands because a lot of times its just nibbling but sometimes she bites hard enough to bruise or break the skin and I have a almost 3yo stepson who is obsessed with her but I'm afraid to let him have much to do with her cuz I don't want her to accidentally try to nibble him and he get hurt and then become afraid of her. He does enjoy feeding her fruit treats or wormies through the cage or while we hold her. I also wondered a couple other things like, how much light is too much to have on while interacting with her and does it actually hurt them or just make it hard for them to see as well? Also I was curious as to how people cut their nails and how often and if I got the wheel with the sandpaper and she actually used it, would I need to worry about cutting her nails any

Even with sandpaper wheels we still need to cut the gliders nails, about every 2 weeks or so seems to be best.
In bright sun light I have read that is bad for their eyes, in a room with regular light I don't think it's as bad. the best thing about a darker playroom is the gliders will come out and play, with light they may want to just stay in sleeping pouch. We turn down the light alot, but still have enough light for us to see.
when we first got the gliders we put the cage in our bedroom, I work nights half the time, so I would turn out the lights and get the room real dark to sleep in daytime, the gliders would come out and run on wheel then jump around cage.

I finally made a nail cutting video. this is the system we use after trying several other ways, netting bag, just grabbing a leg, etc.
This way works great for us, with our bonded gliders and our unbonded gliders.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJv2yAfkVHg&t=6s

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Jan 14 2018 10:54:09 PM
Question
Jan 15 2018
08:38:10 PM
We have ours in the living room but as you can see in the photos half her cage is covered to minimize the poop/bedding/food flinging and I do notice she comes out a few times a day when its just me at home which I only ever have some white Christmas lights on and one of the tall duel lamps on so it's always fairly dim lit in my house
Question
Jan 16 2018
10:55:20 AM
I posted a photo of the new items I have so far to begin working on making Sugie's cage better for her, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or ideas on what I should do. Here is a list of items:

·Coconut ladder hanging hut
·fuzzy hanging hammock
·fuzzy feather toy
·chew rope/rings
·wooden chew blocks
·jingle ball rolling toy
·tons of multicolored links
·small wheel(this is an old one I had already that she won't use)

Edited by - Beenabeth on Jan 16 2018 10:57:02 AM
Question
Jan 16 2018
02:54:14 PM
I am amazed how your glider sits in your hand; mine will not do that. Congrats!
Question
Jan 17 2018
12:50:54 AM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
I personally use the stealth freedom wheel since it's considered safe and ships through Amazon for hassle-free shipping and returns, if necessary. They're like $50US so not cheap, I can understand not wanting to spend that, especially for something your glider won't even use. (Luckily mine are wheel maniacs and use it every night).

As for pouches and cage furnishings, fleece, especially anti-pill fleece, is generally considered the safest. Items made with fleece and hidden seams are your best choices, you can make them yourself if you've got a sewing machine and some patience, or find vendors who make such things. If she's a chewer you might be better off just cutting some fleece into blankets for her and stuffing them into coconut houses for her hidey holes, that way she has less to get caught on.

Nail trimming happens whenever they start to leave scratches on me, so about every 2 weeks or so. It can be a pain but is necessary, since otherwise they get caught on stuff and scratch you.

Mine LOVE plastic drinking straws and feathers, you can find a lot of fun things for them to play with at the dollar store, there are a lot of examples online. The funnest thing for them seems to be playing with each other and me, though. So a friend and bonding with her more are just as important.

Mine nibble and chomp more when they are hungry, even when I don't smell like food, so maybe feeding her a snack before handling would help.

A neutered male or another female would make a good cagemate for her as far as I know, it depends on their individual personalities as much as their sexes.

Question
Jan 19 2018
10:15:51 AM
Thanks for all the advice everyone, I appreciate it a lot. @ptamom she's good at just sitting and watching what's going on around her, once I've got her calmed down some that is lol. I've even got her to let me lay her on her back and rub her belly in my hand before, I just can't seem to get bonded any further than hand holding.
Question
Jan 19 2018
12:33:46 PM
quote:

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I appreciate it a lot. @ptamom she's good at just sitting and watching what's going on around her, once I've got her calmed down some that is lol. I've even got her to let me lay her on her back and rub her belly in my hand before, I just can't seem to get bonded any further than hand holding.

I would be so happy with that and if any of mine would lay on their back for me to rub their belly, I think I would cry.
Question
Jan 19 2018
02:02:44 PM
It was time to clean out Sugie's cage so I decided to go ahead and change things around to make it easier to switch things up faster if I wanna add new things. I took out the middle level and both platforms and use the middle level to make a new floor on the bottom of the cage so I could finally raise the floor above the bedding stuff that is used to absorb the pee/poop so she can finally be able to live with a fairly clean floor and not have to be climbing around in her potty lol I think she loves it so much more, I'm glad to see she really likes her feather toy and she seems like she will like the links too. I uploaded a photo.
Cage set up questions

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Cage set up questions