GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
How can I keep them occupied?
Question
Jan 09 2018
06:16:28 AM
Hi!
I’ve noticed lately that all my sugar gliders.. don’t really play with their toys that much. They’ve got wheels ( Comet and Abel sometimes use the same one, Abel goes nuts for that) and Rocky, the one who doesn’t live with the other two just yet, has a silent runner, but lately he hasn’t been using it at all. They’ve got braided fleece, fleece vines, some forage toys, a climbing hoop, stuff like that. I recently got some money for Christmas so I wanted to get them hopefully some toys that they use and keep them occupied, because they just seem super bored. How can I keep them from.. not.. getting bored? I’ve only got one tail carrier so far. I was thinking maybe some reset toys with the bracelets for Tail carrying, some pulley toys, etc ( like the toys sold at Etsy or sarasuggieshoppe) Do any of you guys have toys like that and do your suggies like them?
Oh and also: do I need two wheels for two gliders, three wheels for three gliders, etc etc ?
Question
Jan 09 2018
10:32:54 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I have about 1 wheel per 2 gliders. but if your cage is big enough you can always add more, specially if they us them.

You could try a whiffle ball filled with fleece strips,
or I hear tie a loose knot in a long fleece piece and hang from the roof of cage.

but I think one of the biggest things is try to get 3 sets of toys and cage stuff, and switch them out every week. this will keep the cage fresh and different for them.

a few dried mealworms in a few foraging cups in different spots in cage will keep them interested.
Question
Jan 09 2018
04:44:31 PM
ptamom Glider Visit ptamom's Photo Album 145 Posts

I don't feel my cage is big enough to allow them to glide and have a lot of hanging items (that they care less for) so I only hang a few at a time.

I have reset toys, pom pom tubs, etc but they don't seem to like the toys.
If I don't switch the toys, then I put them in a different spot in the cage--kinda like a baby).

Question
Jan 17 2018
05:25:34 AM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
My gliders love feathers and drinking straws. They also like to "hunt" and pounce on cat teaser toys (catnip is toxic to them though so make sure any toys you give are catnip free) if you're playing with them. Foraging for insects or other treats and running in the wheel are also favorites. I have two but they share a single wheel just fine. Mine have bracelets to carry but completely ignore them. If you hang milk rings or straws from the cage bars they seem to enjoy throwing those on the floor. They also love to explore, so having extra pouches or nestboxes can be fun for them to pop in and out of as well.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders