Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Newly found out to be male
Question
Jan 10 2018
10:07:57 PM
As my suggies have gotten a little more used to me, are now allowing me to pet them and do other things along those lines, I have discovered Jinx is infact a boy. I got them with the impression that they were both females, I don't really care about gender I just didn't want to worry about babies or neutering. However, now that I know my little Jinxaroonie is a boy I have some questions;

1) How do I tell if he is sexually mature?
I would like to avoid babies just because they are my first two gliders and I'm not ready for babies. I DO plan on getting him neutered as soon as I can, I just don't have the extra money at the moment. I don't know their ages as they are rescues and the man we got them from didn't know their exact ages, just that they were young. I doesn't have his bald spots yet, I'm not sure if that means anything?

2) Can the females only be bred while in heat? How often are they in heat?
Those may seem like dumb questions in just trying my best to understand my babies and to do my best to prevent new babies.
Question
Jan 11 2018
06:54:55 AM
Wishes Joey Visit Wishes's Photo Album 41 Posts
If he doesn't have a bald spot he could be fixed already

www.glidernursery.com/breeding.html

"Sugar gliders have an estrus (heat) cycle every 29 days. Females can begin going through estrus as early as 4 months old, or 16 weeks out of pouch (OOP). A female is pregnant for 16 days, after which point the immature joey migrates to the pouch where it will stay and nurse for approximately 70 days. Once the joey fully emerges, or comes OOP, this is considered their birth date. Joeys should remain with their parents until they are 10 weeks OOP."

Inbreeding is a big worry too (exp. their are only two lines for platinums)
Some times they reject the baby or worse
Females need special care more protein vitamin

Edited by - Wishes on Jan 11 2018 06:59:21 AM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders