Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Is my glider missing a toe?
Question
Jan 12 2018
12:04:44 AM
Hi everyone! I'm a newer glider owner, and I have a 4 month old male. Along with new discoveries and quirks, I noticed that his back left foot only has 4 toes and is missing the thumb. The right foot has the thumb, and the rest of his fingers are there.

I read some related questions in the forum and I've gathered that it's either inbreeding birth defect, or the mom overgrooming. Unless this is some common trait I've never heard of?

Other than that, he looks healthy. Thank you for your time and advice!
Question
Jan 12 2018
02:32:25 PM
scoot Joey 30 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Aspeakma

Hi everyone! I'm a newer glider owner, and I have a 4 month old male. Along with new discoveries and quirks, I noticed that his back left foot only has 4 toes and is missing the thumb. The right foot has the thumb, and the rest of his fingers are there.

I read some related questions in the forum and I've gathered that it's either inbreeding birth defect, or the mom overgrooming. Unless this is some common trait I've never heard of?

Other than that, he looks healthy. Thank you for your time and advice!

For the back feet, they should have the big weird thumb, the double toe that is the grooming claw, then two normal toes with normal claws. Anything other then that is out of the ordinary. I've also read that unusual amount of fingers and toes is a common birth defect from poor breeding, so maybe that? I don't imagine it being a problem (unless you intended to breed with him).

Also please try to get your little guy a friend as soon as you can! Gliders are colony animals who need at least 1 other glider to live with or they will get depressed, and even self harm.

Edited by - scoot on Jan 12 2018 02:33:25 PM
Question
Jan 12 2018
04:43:59 PM
Aspeakma Starting Member USA 7 Posts
Thank you! I've had him for a month and I've been looking every day for a cagemate because I can tell he is becoming lonely, but otherwise is doing good.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders