Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Do they go back...
Do they go back...
Information
Jan 18 2018
03:55:52 AM
I don't have a slider proofed room but do let them out of the cage early morning(about an hour before they are due to go to sleep). I always watch them to ensure they don't go where they shouldn't.

My question is if I left the cage door open, do you think they would go back to their pouch to sleep? I ask this as I always have to chase to put them away.
Information
Jan 18 2018
04:16:59 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Good morning!
Both of my colonies go back into their cage to sleep when they're done playing in the morning. I had to teach my quad to do it, though, because they play in the living room and would find numerous cozy places between the couch cushions to sleep at first. So I would take them one at a time and put them back in their cage and give them a lick of yummy yogurt to teach them that the cage was where they want to go! After a while they started to go back there on their own.
My pair has always gone back to the cage on their own. No cozy couches to snuggle in in the office where they reside.
Information
Jan 18 2018
02:59:34 PM
ptamom Glider Visit ptamom's Photo Album 145 Posts
My son said that they would find other places to sleep (couch as cage is in living room) and not go to cage.

In order to leave door open, this would mean that all 3 ladies would have to be out. It is extremely hard for me to watch all 3 gliders as they tend to go in different directions.

I will probably just keep doing what I am doing; which is letting 1 out at a time.
Information
Jan 18 2018
03:59:23 PM
kidqwik Joey Visit kidqwik's Photo Album 47 Posts
I wouldn't take the chance. Mine usually don't want to go back in the cage when I take them out. They'll be on my hand or arm going back into the cage and then run up my arm or jump onto my shoulder and want to stay out. I have a hard enough time keeping them under control when 4 of them are on me at once. If the light above is turned off and there's light coming from the other room they'll be on my head, wanting to go all over. If the above light is on they'll only go as high as my shoulders but they still want to jump all over and onto the floor.
Information
Jan 18 2018
04:32:47 PM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Yeah I only let them out with my supervision and when they go back into the cage I close the door and start getting ready for work. I have had four out at a time, and it was a bit challenging because they do tend to spread out. But after a while I got used to it. They all have their own personality and so they eventually became easier to predict...I.e. Clare runs on the back of the couch, Guen would always scavenge the floor, Gimli likes to try to run into the dining room, etc.
If you ever considered getting a tent for playtime, that is one way to make it easier to keep track of them. When I used to use a tent with my pair, they would play until they were tired, then they would climb back into their pouch, which I would keep inside my shirt. I liked that because it was so cute to have them crawl into my shirt and snuggle up! Just another idea.
Information
Jan 19 2018
12:41:58 PM
ptamom Glider Visit ptamom's Photo Album 145 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Kferg

Yeah I only let them out with my supervision and when they go back into the cage I close the door and start getting ready for work. I have had four out at a time, and it was a bit challenging because they do tend to spread out. But after a while I got used to it. They all have their own personality and so they eventually became easier to predict...I.e. Clare runs on the back of the couch, Guen would always scavenge the floor, Gimli likes to try to run into the dining room, etc.
If you ever considered getting a tent for playtime, that is one way to make it easier to keep track of them. When I used to use a tent with my pair, they would play until they were tired, then they would climb back into their pouch, which I would keep inside my shirt. I liked that because it was so cute to have them crawl into my shirt and snuggle up! Just another idea.

Yes, my gliders go in different directions. When the cage was in the dining area, they would climb on the curtains and that was extremely hard to get them off to put back. Now, it is in the living room (not much climbing areas) and have decided to wander into the dining area. This wouldn't be a concern except I have a Chinese Water Dragon (cage has hole for water pump) and I definitely do not want them going in there.

I am not sure that I like the newest tent I bought for them. I had a all mesh one and they didn't like it. This one is better but not much for them to climb. I will keep looking as "tent" time is the safest and less stressful method for me.

I joke with my son that when he leaves home (he is almost 16) his room will become the glider room.
Information
Jan 19 2018
05:22:43 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
Ours go out in a glider safe room.
BUT ONCE, mary got out in the evening, someone didn't see her escape. in the morning I would hear her climbing around cage. I looked and after a moment I realized she saw on the BACK OUTSIDE of cage. she was trying very hard to get back into pouch, but the bars were stopping her. she was not very bonded, but was so tired I was able to use fleece to grab her easy and put her back in cage.
Do they go back...

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Do they go back...