Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Effects of Marijuana smoke? (I'm not the one smoking it)
Health related
Jan 23 2018
12:45:48 AM
I've been fortunate enough to be able to register my glider as an ESA with my college so he can stay with me in my dorm (yes I will be getting 1 or 2 more gliders soon).

However, some people here think it's a great idea to smoke weed in their rooms, which then perferates into my room. As I'm typing this, I'm pretty sure I have a small contact high.

How will this affect my glider? If he gets high, will be become ill or be at risk for health problems? I'm unable to stop the smell sometimes even though I spray febreeze/ perfume and have a candle warmer. Also, I read some older posts but found no definite answers.

Thank you for your time.
Health related
Jan 25 2018
03:52:20 PM
Amanda212 Starting Member 9 Posts
I am not exactly sure what the effects would be, but I cannot imagine they are good. Gliders are so tiny and their lungs are even tinnier! If there is absolutely no way around the smoke I would suggest to maybe put a blanket over the cage? It will hopefully help to block out some of the smoke. Also, I am not sure how big your bathroom is, but if his cage can fit in there that may be a good idea as well. You could keep the door shut and turn the ventilation fan on.

Sorry that I don't have an exact answer, but I hope the suggestions help!
Health related
Jan 27 2018
10:44:30 AM
sofiedigital Starting Member Visit sofiedigital's Photo Album 7 Posts
Sounds intense. Can I recommend something that works for me? My neighbors are big cigarette smokers, and sometimes they leave their doors open and the smell comes RIGHT INTO my apartment. What I got was, Rubber Weather-seal Door Strips for lining the side and bottom and top of the door, it made a big difference because no draft can carry the smoke in with the current... kinda like these:

www.amazon.com/dp/B077SMSLCD/ref=asc_df_B077SMSLCD5350756/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B077SMSLCD&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241887627798&hvpos=1o7&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17776465874497995154&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004144&hvtargid=pla-431313545164

GOOD LUCK.... but for the record, spraying febreeze all around your glider's environment is also not as good, remember its a chemical and their lungs are the size of kidney bean. I would imagine it has the same effect on them as a human would have huffing chemicals=no bueno. Just a thought! Again, good luck!!!

Edited by - sofiedigital on Jan 27 2018 10:45:28 AM
Health related
Jan 28 2018
05:30:41 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Wow, so sorry to hear. Have you considered looking into a room air cleaner, they come in various sizes I think and run on electric. Maybe it will help remove the smoke.
Health related
Jan 29 2018
09:49:51 PM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
You could try an air purifier that has an activated charcoal filter, those are supposed to help filter out smoke. Just be sure not to get one that produces ozone.

I wouldn't spray febreeze or anything near them. That doesn't do anything to mitigate the smoke, it just adds more chemicals to the air and more things that could potentially cause problems for the little guys. If you want to rescent the air putting a jar of water with a few drops of essential oils in it on a candle warmer would probably be safer (although candle warmers might be against dorm codes, I'm not sure what your rules are).

The door strips would also probably help, if the smell is drifting in under the door...
Health related
Jan 30 2018
05:33:42 AM
hey GLIDERS Glider 70 Posts
Cannabis is scientifically proven to be safer than coffee. It is one of the most benign substances in the planet.

If you are not smoking in the room directly around your glider, you literally have nothing to worry about.

If you were not in the same room as people smoking, than you are exaggerating and did not have a contact high. Contact highs are mostly myth, and the placebo effect (which is totally ok and normal). and unless they blew the smoke, directly in your face, it is incredibally unlikely that you were affected by the cannabis.

Rest assured your glider will be ok, but you do need to get him a friend. I see that as a bigger health risk than the weed a million times over.
Health related
Jan 31 2018
06:21:11 PM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by hey GLIDERS

Cannabis is scientifically proven to be safer than coffee. It is one of the most benign substances in the planet.

If you are not smoking in the room directly around your glider, you literally have nothing to worry about.

If you were not in the same room as people smoking, than you are exaggerating and did not have a contact high. Contact highs are mostly myth, and the placebo effect (which is totally ok and normal). and unless they blew the smoke, directly in your face, it is incredibally unlikely that you were affected by the cannabis.

Rest assured your glider will be ok, but you do need to get him a friend. I see that as a bigger health risk than the weed a million times over.

I would be interested in reading the studies proving this. Do you have any links to the research that drew these conclusions?
Health related
Feb 08 2018
01:48:02 AM
Aspeakma Starting Member USA 7 Posts
Thanks everyone. And yes, I know perfumes aren't good to spray by him (I myself have to move out of the area I sprayed because asthma) but I didn't think about it accumulating. Unfortunately, I can't move his cage as the bathroom is shared and that's where the smell is most intense. I've actually been looking at the weather door covers, but I need to ask if they're allowed. Fortunately, the smell isn't present everyday, and he seems fine.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders