GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Problems arising in my colony...
Behavior
Jan 24 2018
12:05:48 AM
Hi there,

I currently have a colony of 3 sugar glider, 2 females and 1 male. 1 female I rescued from someone else, her brother passed away, and I added the other 2 to create a colony of 3.

In the past, I have had problems with the male being slightly more aggressive towards me and towards the females. He has never allowed me to hold or pet him, and he is constantly crabbing at the other 2. I had considered moving him out of the colony, but the arguing became less frequent and I thought they had worked out their differences.

Lately, I have noticed that the male has a bald spot on his back. It is not in the usual spot for him to be grooming himself too much, but it below his neck on his back.

Tonight something really strange happened and I'm not really sure what I should do. The tame female (she usually sits in the hammock happily or climbs to the corner of the cage and watches everyone else) has started clinging onto the backs of the other 2 and aggressively either grooming or biting the backs of their necks. This irks the others and they try to run away/roll away/start crabbing until they can finally get away, and the tame female waits until someone is close to her again and then does the same thing. When she gets sick of this she goes into the hammock and waits, and whenever one of the other gliders enters the hammock there is a lot of crabbing. There are multiple pouches and hammocks in the cage but they all frequent the same one.

What should I do? Do I need to separate them?

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated...

Best,
Skylar
Behavior
Jan 24 2018
12:33:56 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
In our colony of 7 we have a small female and medium male that can cause problems. the male only once in a great while. the female is most of the problems, some nights she will bully other gliders causing them to make a real loud bad noise.
the other gliders making this noise seem to be telling her to leave them alone. if she gets to be to much of a problem we have an unused small pocket pets cage, we will put her in that for the rest of the night. this will usually get her to behave the next few nights.
so for us, one night separation has worked ok for bullying.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders