Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Unknown Fatal Illness - Anyone experience this?
Health related
Jan 28 2018
10:18:02 AM
Hey there guys.

I've had a pair (neutered male and female) for 3 years in Houston then moved to Colorado. About 8 months later both of them because very sick (lethargic, not eating or drinking, sluggish movements) and I took them to the only emergency vet I could find. My boy made it but my baby girl didn't. I didn't have the money for any extensive tests or a biopsy but was told it might have been some kind of infection (sadly they had no definitive answer)

2 years later (this morning) I found 1 of my suggies, an intact male 1 year OOP to date, passed in the night and his twin very ill with the same symptoms as my gliders 2 years ago. I spent the last hour with him before he passed as well. I fed them the night before and they were moving around fine. I know they can nice their symptoms but we are talking seeming fine to passing in the span of 6-8 hours

I had a colony of 5, all getting the same food, same fruit/veggie rotation. They eat the modified leadbeater mix as well as yogurt regularly. Only the two little ones got sick, so I'm not sure what is happening.

I'm heartbroken and feeling devastated because I have no answers about what happened. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about this?

Edited by - BenjiDez on Jan 28 2018 10:20:37 AM
Health related
Jan 28 2018
03:02:37 PM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Hello,
I'm so sorry for your losses.
Did you have an X-ray?
I can't say I have the answers, obviously, but my glider died of a huge tumor that had taken over many of her organs and was basically starving her and giving her pain so she moved slowly and carefully. It was awful to watch. Until I had pain meds for her she wouldn't eat or drink. It also caused a major infection which I gave her antibiotics for (before we knew it was a tumor). The antibiotics seemed to help but as I said the tumor was huge and had taken over her body.
So yes, she had similar symptoms. She did not pass as quickly as your gliders though.
I can only guess why she had a tumor, but if I did have to guess I would say these things happen and probably happen more with inbred gliders. I would guess she was inbred...I didn't get her from a reputable breeder. But anyway, that's my story. Her brother seems fine so far. I watch him very carefully and keep my fingers crossed for now.
Health related
Jan 28 2018
05:27:55 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Sorry for your loss. I wish I had answers, but only can offer words of condolence. I too suffered a loss of one of mine that I don't know what exactly happened, only that I found her on the cage floor. I know the sorrow, it's deep. Hope you find peace.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders