Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Few different Sugie questions
Question
Jan 28 2018
11:27:16 PM
One thing I was wanting to know is how much/what treats does everyone feed each of their suggies.

2nd question- is it possible, and if so, how does someone go about finding out how old a sugie is, and what is the average lifespan of a sugie.

3rd- what type of climate are Sugie's use to or do they normally adapt fairly well to whatever climate they live in?
Question
Jan 29 2018
10:50:53 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
1. I used to give dried papaya, plain no sugar added, from bird section of pet store, keytee brand. but they now want the sugary treats. I give yogurt drops every once in awhile - they like alot. then I give dried mealworms alittle more often, about every other day to the ones that are awake - most of them love these. Then finally the lucky ones get a ride to the kitchen every few days and get some LIVE mealworms - they go crazy for live. all the treats are fatty so we have one fat glider, a few chubby ones, and some that are just right.

2. the vet says once a glider is adult, they can't tell the age anymore.
wild gliders live about 6 years, captive gliders can live up to about 12 years.

3. gliders are from Australia and surrounding areas. they do best at room temperature about 72 degrees. in the wild it gets cold at night. so they can take some cold, and it gets 85+ in Australia so they can take some heat. If it is cold they came go into a torpor sleep, they conserve heat and energy while sleeping in this way, during periods of low food. gliders can take up to 104 degrees.
In your house you should keep them at room temp, but if it gets cold or hot once in awhile they should be fine, specially if you have 2 or more they will sleep together to conserve body heat in colder temps.
In brisbane Australia temps range from 52 degrees to 85 degrees, with night time lows rarely going below 48 degrees.
Question
Feb 09 2018
01:28:20 PM
Beenabeth Joey Visit Beenabeth's Photo Album USA 20 Posts
Thanks for the info. I only have one girl right now, how much of the fruits and wormies would you say you give a single sugie lets say per day or week? I'm thinking I'm not giving her treats quite often enough and it may be contributing to her biting and tearing things up
Question
Feb 09 2018
08:11:08 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Beenabeth

Thanks for the info. I only have one girl right now, how much of the fruits and wormies would you say you give a single sugie lets say per day or week? I'm thinking I'm not giving her treats quite often enough and it may be contributing to her biting and tearing things up

with a trip to the frig for live mealies, I try to limit it to 4 worms. they only get these trips for 4 nights and not all get to go, then the 4 days I work they don't get the trip.
They get a few dried mealworms from my wife sometimes in the early morning. and we have yogurts, maybe 2 drops when we pull them out, but we don't give yogurts but every few days.
We do have one fat glider max 160gram, and a few chubby ones female 130 grams. males 140 grams. but we have several that are still skinny.

the best way might be to weight your glider and keep a record, so you can see if they gain weight, also the dried fruit (papaya) has lots of natural sugar so can cause weight gain if given to much.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders