Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Can my gliders drown in their water dish?
Question
Jan 31 2018
11:03:50 AM
Hi there! So I just recently became a mom to two little boys who are about seven months out of pouch. I know for gliders drowning is a huge issue, but I’m not really sure where to draw the line. Instead of one of those hamster water bottles they have a dish that I don’t fill up more than an inch. Is there any danger in doing this? The boys seem smart enough to know what to do and I find it very unlikely they could drown but I’d rather be safe than sorry. What do you guys think?
Question
Jan 31 2018
11:35:10 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Drowning is unlikely, however they might get soaked, which is not good.
Another thing to considere is that they might pee in the dish, polluting the water they drink, or might throw it down and end up with nothing to drink...
Question
Jan 31 2018
01:15:50 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I use both hamster water containers and bird water containers.

www.petsmart.com/bird/bowls-and-feeders/jw-pet-insight-clean-water-silo-bird-waterer-14115.html?cgid=400201

in cages with vertical bars these are very easy to remove and clean.
with cages with horizontal bars it takes a little more work.
Question
Feb 01 2018
07:36:31 PM
kidqwik Joey Visit kidqwik's Photo Album 47 Posts
I have 2 small metal dishes at two locations in each cage. My gliders hardly ever pee or poop in them. I tried the water silos and they didn't like. I'm more worried about them becoming dehydrated than drowning in the water dishes by far. It's not like they are falling in a toilet of pool of water. They're 5oz. Mine have never "fallen in" to their water dish. I have two of these in each cage:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0763Q5YVL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Question
Feb 06 2018
07:36:33 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Congratulations on your new additions!

I had the same concerns when I brought my first glider home. I used water bottles for awhile but occasionally they would get clogged. So I used small dishes as a temporary fix until I could find a permanent solution. The dishes worked so well that I decided to stay with them.

When looking for water dishes, my main concern was choosing something that was small enough so they couldn't fit inside (this was important since my first glider loved curling up in her food dish, even though it was small she could barely fit inside). When visiting a local restaurant, I got this idea to use small ramekins (the kind that restaurants use to serve things like ketchup and dip). I chose ones that were 2 inches in diameter and 1 inch deep. It's the perfect size to give them what they need while avoiding the risk. Occasionally food crumbs end up in the water, but changing it daily is easy and keeps it clean.
Question
Feb 08 2018
10:00:16 AM
soulmistin Starting Member Visit soulmistin's Photo Album 4 Posts
Thanks everyone! They’re doing really well with the dish so I’ve kept it in the cage but also added a silo water bottle just in case they need extra water or would prefer it. Thanks again for your advice

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders