Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Officially given up
Officially given up
Information
Jan 31 2018
11:45:51 AM
I posted this on Glider Central as well but I have realized that my gliders do not like me and I have officially given up.

I have no clue as to what I am doing wrong. I can't let them out of the cage freely as my place isn't glider proof and there are too many dangers. That being said, when I have let 1 out or 1 escaped, it is extremely difficult for me to get them back in the cage. I find myself grabbing them just to get them back in (no good..I know)

Tent time is fine. They will use me as their tree (I'm ok with this)and Serena will often fall asleep in my shirt on my back. I am trying to train them not to go on my back and hide to no avail.

That being said "I bought my 3 ladies with the realization that this could happen." I will continue to love them, play with them, hold them, and spoil them with the hopes that one day in the future my love will be returned.

Just feeling saddened
Information
Jan 31 2018
12:03:26 PM
Riconlilomommy Joey Visit Riconlilomommy's Photo Album DE, USA 35 Posts
So sorry you are feeling discouraged. Don't give up though. Just because they are hard to catch doesn't mean they don't like you. You said you can't let them out so when they do get out they just take full advantage of it. Follow one around one day instead of trying to catch her and she will come to you I bet.
Information
Jan 31 2018
01:34:25 PM
ptamom Glider Visit ptamom's Photo Album 145 Posts
Thanks; I have tried that.

I would sometimes let 1 out at a time until they started venturing to the kitchen. That area is a big "NO GO" as our last neighbors had critters so bad that I still have poisoning on the floor.

They come to me in the tent..that's it. At least, they do it there. Better than nothing. They don't crab at me, bite me (trimming only), and will fall asleep in their pouch when held.

All of these are positives right?
Information
Jan 31 2018
04:39:08 PM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Hi Ptamom,
Them using you as their tree is great! They go on your back because they would ride on their mommy' back when they were joeys, so they're treating you like their mommy. They fall asleep in your shirt, that means they find you safe. They even come to you in the tent- that's trust.
They run from you when not in the tent-that's curiosity and feeling safe enough to wander.
Sugar gliders are curious, independent, hyper creatures. Not all gliders like to snuggle or ride in a pocket or come when they're called or even explore. Of my five every single one is different. The only one who would hang on me is Luna. Gimli likes to explore. Clare is a spaz who won't come out to play but would play in a tent. Thor won't come out to play, period. Fionn is a total nervous nelly who still hides from me in the cage 3 years after I adopted him. Yet, he will come out and get a treat from me, then go right back into the cage. But I know they all love me because I feed them and give them treats and hold them and cut their nails. And I'm their mom. That's it. Sure, it'd be cool if they all hung in me like the videos I see. But that's just not them, and I'm okay with that. In fact, I've had Thor for five years and in all that time he's only ever climbed on me like twice. But I know he loves me! He just doesn't want to climb on me.
So, I hope my perspective helped you. All gliders are different! But they know who takes care of them.
Information
Jan 31 2018
10:26:14 PM
Thank you so much for the encouragement
Information
Feb 01 2018
10:59:44 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
my best suggestion is about 30 to 60 minutes a day, using their sleeping pouch or a bonding pouch, when they are sleeping. take them out, put your hand in the pouch and let them sleep with your hand.
that or just go back to wearing the bonding pouch will all 3 inside.
Information
Feb 01 2018
12:35:38 PM
my best suggestion is about 30 to 60 minutes a day, using their sleeping pouch or a bonding pouch, when they are sleeping. take them out, put your hand in the pouch and let them sleep with your hand.
that or just go back to wearing the bonding pouch will all 3 inside.

Thanks; I do hold them daily in a pouch (all 3 inside) I put my hand and let them curl around it but I rarely take them out of the pouch to sleep in my hand (I always end up waking them). I have had Athena and Explorer (separately)fall asleep in fleece in my hand; I have to cup them in my hand to achieve this.

I will continue with all the advice given and keep my fingers crossed.
Information
Feb 02 2018
10:17:34 AM
This morning I decided to do bedroom time as it is relatively safe. I only had Athena and Serena with the intent of trying to have them glide as I have high ceilings. They seemed to be happy exploring and gliding from dresser to closet. After about an 1 1/2 hours, I felt it was time for them to go back to their cage. They both didn't want to come easily to me but eventually Athena did, gave her a treat, and back to the cage. Serena on the other hand has chosen to fall asleep somewhere (I am assuming in my closet). I have looked for her but didn't see her. After I run my errands, I will look again. All my doors and windows are closed/locked and since she doesn't wake up during the day, I think she will be ok.

This was definitely less stressful on me and I am assuming on them as well. There was a few times that they used me as a tree but they mainly enjoyed just exploring. I need to put my thinking cap on so that they can climb higher.

Thanks for the help.
Information
Feb 02 2018
08:00:11 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Sounds like you're doing a great job! Keep up the good work and keep us posted!
Information
Feb 03 2018
03:04:08 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Tiakristin3

Sounds like you're doing a great job! Keep up the good work and keep us posted!

Thank you.

Serena was found curled up in a small pile of clothes in my closet.

I am going to put a nesting box on the shelf in case this should happen again. I am hoping that she will go in there to sleep and I always know where to find her.

I am going to try bedroom time during the week when my hubby wakes up and tent time every few days at night.
Information
Feb 06 2018
03:58:18 PM
ronin718 Starting Member 6 Posts
If you're wanting to let your fuzzers run around, might I suggest a large hamster/rodent ball. We use them for our boys, and they have a fine time running around the house. This provides a safe, secure way for them to wander, and it's a whole lot easier to catch them when it's time to return to the cage. We have one for each so they can wander freely and not compete.

Edited by - ronin718 on Feb 06 2018 03:58:57 PM
Information
Feb 07 2018
12:00:28 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by ronin718

If you're wanting to let your fuzzers run around, might I suggest a large hamster/rodent ball. We use them for our boys, and they have a fine time running around the house. This provides a safe, secure way for them to wander, and it's a whole lot easier to catch them when it's time to return to the cage. We have one for each so they can wander freely and not compete.

I have heard the danger in these is the small air holes provide a place for the nails to get stuck or break off. I have never used them so don't know how much of a possibility it is to happen.

Officially given up

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Officially given up