Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar Gliders Always Wanting Treats? Demanding Treats?
Question
Jan 31 2018
08:17:03 PM
It’s been about 4 months since I got my two girls Luna and Venus. Luna started off EXTREMELY shy and Venus was super Social from the beginning. Now, Luna comes out for tent time and comes up to the front of the cage to greet me at night! Woohoo for me! :) Venus, the social one, keeps trying to come out of the cage (and succeeds). I have a crazy hard time putting her back in unless I give her a treat! Tent time is literally them looking and looking for treats and climbing on me. I think I really screwed up because they are ALWAYS looking for treats now. They also do the grabby hands and wait for me to give them treats!! My gliders also look like they are slowly gaining weight (my treats are yogurt drops and dried fruit....Not big fans of mealworms). Can anyone give advice on how to break their habit of wanting treats all the time please?
Thank you.

(Sorry this is a quick and sort of sloppy question - have to do homework for school and I will forget to ask later......maybe procrastinating as well)
Question
Feb 02 2018
02:38:55 PM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
Are they getting enough food normally? Mine are a lot more grabby and nibbly when they're hungry. And do they have a wheel? It's good exercise for them. I swear one of mine might like the wheel more than he likes me, hahaha. You could give them bits of fresh fruits and veggies as treats as well, those might be more filling.

Gliders will beg. If I'm eating junkfood mine will ask for some even though I never share it. If it smells good and I'm eating it, they want it.

Accustom them to getting treats at only a certain time or place, and they should eventually stop asking for them all the time.
Question
Feb 10 2018
04:39:13 AM
Tabbie Glider Visit Tabbie's Photo Album 64 Posts
Going along with the above post that’s how I got my gliders to stop begging for treats. Now it’s only treats during pouch time then play time they just go wild and don’t beg. Sometimes I’ll hide small treats around their cage too before feeding time so that they don’t escape the cage while I’m getting all their food in lol.
Question
Jun 13 2018
02:28:19 AM
Ballistic_Glider Joey 26 Posts
Wow. Sorry for not responding to either of you! I always had a wheel and used to feed them extra after their dinners. They have stopped with grabby hands but if they hear the treats, they stop whatever they are doing.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders