Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Scary, Aggressive Crabbing Throughout The Night - Maybe Pregnant?
Health related
Feb 05 2018
03:46:42 PM
The last couple nights, we've been woken up from unsettling crabbing coming from the girls cage. We suspected it was Ellie, who gets upset when she's disturbed while in her pouch, but when we got up we saw it was Pepper, our most happy and sweet glider. The only other time I've ever heard her crab was her first day with us, otherwise she's been amazing, so we're really worried. It happened maybe twice or three times last night, and one of the times it sounded like... More. Like a mix between screaming and crabbing maybe? It was really scary, and when we got up to see, Pepper was in the pouch, and Ellie was on the other side of the cage. They've been cagemates for four to five months now, and they love each other. I don't believe they're harming each other, they never have before. Usually, they just chatter throughout the night but since we came back to the dorms it's been different.

On to Connors theory: Desmond is fully matured, and somehow he got Pepper pregnant. Pepper is about 8 months old now and Desmond is 6 and a half. We've been watching them during playtime and anytime he tries anything we split it up immediately. Once in a while, we hear her giving out her mating calls, so it's not impossible that we maybe missed them at one point. If that's true, is it common that young pregnant gliders would act this way? We just need to find out what's going on, she acts fine throughout the day like normal but once we go to bed it gets bad. They also don't have a huge interest in toys like Desmond does, so we have the toys in his cage and a few in theirs, though they don't play like he does. We also take the wheel out at night because it's noisy, we're looking into silent ones so they can run all through the night. Let me know what you know, if it continues the next couple nights we'll definitely take them in to the vet. Thanks!
Health related
Feb 05 2018
04:17:10 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
To me it sounds exactly the same as when some of my females are in heat, they can be quite agressive when it occures
Health related
Feb 07 2018
05:39:36 PM
Tabbie Glider Visit Tabbie's Photo Album 64 Posts
I second that. Even our sweetest females while in heat will do that. I would make sure she’s separated from any males that could impregnate her. At that young it could harm her and harm joeys. :/ you probably already know that though. Maybe take her to the vet too to see if she is pregnant. That way you guys can be prepared for it all.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders