GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sad suggie, helpless mom
Sad suggie, helpless mom
Health related
Feb 09 2018
03:05:56 AM
I've had my little Evelyn for 3 years now
She is 10 years old and has her own personality. Sassiest suggie around!
Backstory: I adopted her from a friend after she couldn't take care of Ev anymore. Ever since, she's been my baby. I love her to death and she's my ESA. She has never had a cagemate ever and we are afraid to introduce another glider due to her age. We tried to let her get to know this couple of suggies once, but they scared her. She's also very small for a glider.

Anyway, for the past while, she's been mutilating herself. she normally does this by ripping the hair out from behind her eyes. It's gotten very bad, but no bleeding or anything.

I've cleaned her cage more frequently, given her more treats, given her more mealies, and talked to her more but nothing is helping. When I stick my hand in, she runs away from it to behind her wheel until I move away, to which she comes out and runs a bit on her wheel then basically zones out.

I know my baby is depressed. I can't figure out how to help her. Getting another glider is out of the question. But there has to be something to make her stop running away from me or at least I can help her....

Insight would be great.
Health related
Feb 09 2018
09:38:02 AM
scoot Joey 30 Posts
Aside from getting her a new friend, there isn't really anything else. She wouldn't be mutilating and depressed if she wasn't lonely though. I think she really does want a friend.

I would make more attempts at bringing in a new glider friend.

www.sugar-gliders.com/glidervet-115.htm

This page has some good information on introducing gliders. You kind of glossed over what your attempts at introducing her to other gliders included. But it usually takes a while to do properly. You need to have them in separate cages and switch pouches to get them used to scents for a while, then do a meeting on neutral ground. Maybe you can find another gentle older glider that would be a nicer fit?

If you have already tried all of this and are aware of the proper long-term ways of introducing, then I'm sorry to tell you things you already know. As far as I've learned though that is really is the only thing you can do in this situation.

Edited by - scoot on Feb 09 2018 09:40:02 AM
Health related
Feb 09 2018
11:41:34 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I would start with a vet visit to see if they can find any other reason that she is pulling out her hair.
I have read a variety of information posted about depression. I have read several posts from long time owners that argue depression is much more a myth then a reality. Some have posted about having lone gliders for years without a problem.
We have 2 colonies, and rescued a lone glider connor. He is scared and crabs alot, but has never bit me yet, he is not fully bonded, but once he calms down in the pouch I pet him fine, and at night with a treat I pet him fine. he even crabs less in the bonding pouch. He is a healthy, vet seen, active glider. anyway...

I would give treats to evelyn by making her come to you, just sit at front of cage and offer her a treat, see how far from behind wheel you can get her to come out for a mealworm. Most of our gliders see us and come running to front of cage, hoping its treat time. BUT sometimes at first night, Link will be at front, as soon as I open cage and try to pet him he runs behind the castle. BUT 30 minutes later, same thing but instead of running he hops on my arm for his ride to kitchen for mealworm time.

so most important imo, vet visit, then put her in bonding pouch and try to sit watching tv maybe putting your hand in the pouch to see if she will sleep with your hand, (her new friend.), try to get her less scared and more willing to come to you in cage with treats.
Sad suggie, helpless mom

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sad suggie, helpless mom