Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Next steps for bonding?
Next steps for bonding?
Question
Feb 12 2018
07:22:58 AM
I got a pair of sisters (who don't have a name because I honestly can't tell them apart) from a stranger three months ago who didn't want them anymore. They're eating really well and is very active. However, they're very skittish and afraid. Because of this, I haven't done much with them but put food in the cage and give them treats through the cage. They're in my presence pretty much every night since I put them in my room where I do my studies (I'm clearly a night person.) I had a pair of sugar gliders before that I sadly had to re-home due to my living situation at the time (they're my cousin's now). I had them since they were babies so I really never had to experience this previously.

I've used a bonding pouch, and tried using a tent. They're VERY scared. They freak out and hide even if I walk up to them, but they would warm up and come for treats. When putting them in the tent, they freeze up and won't even take a mealworm from me. I let them roam around the room sometimes because I feel bad keeping them in the cage, but they avoid me at all costs (I have to turn on the light and have them freeze, then they climb into the bonding pouch to get them in the cage)

Just two days ago, I noticed something. I saw two of them just sitting there at the front of the cage looking at me. I quickly took this opportunity to have some bonding time. I gave them mealworms. They come up to my hand and try to reach it on my palm. I would raise my hand higher and they would jump onto my hand, eat the worm, then jump off. I kept doing this until I felt like I was giving them too much.

What do you guys think my next steps should be to make more progress with bonding? Also, I feel like giving them tons of mealworms isn't that great for their diet. Is there any other healthy alternative that are tiny enough so I could give them tons of it?

Sorry for the long post. I just honestly need some guidance.
Question
Feb 16 2018
07:02:55 PM
Tabbie Glider Visit Tabbie's Photo Album 64 Posts
You can always switch it up with fruits and veggies in your hands. From the sounds of it their previous owner probably didn’t spend much time with them and maybe even did things that scared them. It might take a long while for them to gain your trust but with what you’ve said them jumping on your hand for treats is a huge step for them. I’d just go at their pace and keep doing what you’re doing.
Question
Feb 20 2018
04:22:18 PM
eevee081717 Joey Canada 14 Posts
Your forgetting scent, they don't know you so they don't trust you yet. Try taking a few pieces of fleece and carrying it around for the day or sleeping with it (as close to your bare skin as possible is better) and then put those pieces in their cage pouches where they sleep during the day. Soon they will come to recognize your scent as safety.

If you can coax them into a bonding pouch with a zipper on it then do that as well and just carrying the pouch around with you in the home (preferably during the day when they are sleeping), hearing your heart beat and being close to your scent will help them recognize you.

Baby food! Yes I know it's hard to believe but get some fruit flavored baby food and put some on your finger. Feeding the meal worms and stuff is good but with those the gliders can just grab them and run, with the baby food they actually have to stay and lick it off your fingers
Question
Feb 21 2018
04:57:01 PM
Riconlilomommy Joey Visit Riconlilomommy's Photo Album DE, USA 35 Posts
You can also use honey on your finger as well as baby food, mine LOVE it. When I first got mine I would hang my night shirt over their cage every morning for scent recognition. I would also take the sleeping pouch, with them in it, and hang it on the inside of my shirt and wear it during the day.
Question
Feb 21 2018
06:30:08 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
YOUTUBE --- IZZY SILVER.

watch her videos. sleeping pouch next to her on couch. a little pee on the hand trick. some cool tips and treats. other good poster out there too.
But like the other posters said, SCENT is very important. hang sweaty tie shirt on cage.

I also think you need to do what I call a small PUSH. like with the mealworms in hand, you made them do something extra for it. I would make link go a little farther every few days to get that mealworm until finally he was not running away from me, but walking right onto my arm willingly, cause he can get a mealie.
whatever that push is, you need to make the gliders go a little out of their comfort zone and let them see nothing bad happens.
AND finally bonding can take a long time with some gliders, be persistant and a little pushy.
Question
Feb 21 2018
09:09:42 PM
ptamom Glider Visit ptamom's Photo Album 145 Posts
YOUTUBE --- IZZY SILVER

Could you provide a link as I am not sure that I am finding the right person.

Thanks.
Question
Feb 23 2018
11:32:11 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Feb 23 2018 11:33:26 AM
Next steps for bonding?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Next steps for bonding?