Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
How to get gliders to eat pre-made foods
Food, Diet
Feb 14 2018
06:40:25 PM
Hi, I'm just wondering if there are any tips to get gliders to eat pre-made foods like HPW and pellets. I also cant get them to eat dried insects or fruit. We feed our chicken for protein and mealworms (glider licorice) for treats. The only fruits they are interested in are apple(mostly) and pears, though we've tried several other things. For veggies, they will eat corn (they love it, not super healthy), sometimes peas, and cucumber. We make a nutrient drink for them with HPW powder and added repti-cal. I know if we could get them to eat some pre-made foods they would have a more well rounded diet, they're just so picky. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Food, Diet
Feb 14 2018
10:35:12 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
We feed OHPW with a fruits and veggie mix.
Our 4 glider colony would eat the HPW, in fact most gliders seemed to have no problems digging into the OHPW from the start. Fruits and veggies is TOTALLY different story for us. the 4 colony took about 2 months to start eating fruits and veggies. (our gliders eat up the veggies better then fruits).
Some of the other pairs we got took time to start eating veggies/fruits.
Connor our newest single glider looks to eat all the OHPW but we have had him for maybe 6 months and he doesn't touch anything but the happy glider cereal. FINALLY i noticed just this week, some of the insides of the peas were missing!!!!
I have cleaned out the dang fruit and veggie dish for so long with nothing missing, I hope he is finally going to start eating some of the other stuff.

corn the gliders LOVE, but high in phosphates.

Our gliders will eat more of the veggies, less of the fruit, but they do eat some. we feed pea, green beans, corn, carrot, butternut squash, 3 berry mix, apple, pear, papaya, sometimes mango.

best advice is just keep offering the food. we have ONLY one glider that won't eat dried mealworms, but will eat live mealworms. At times I have thought about ONLY offering connor fruits and veggies for the first half of the night, make him try it, then add OHPW later, but he is vet approved healthy.
Food, Diet
Feb 19 2018
02:49:00 PM
Mat0 Starting Member 3 Posts
I've been trying a recipe called "Glider Crack", but all 3 of my gliders barely touch it. I really need my older boy to start putting on more weight, he's gotten really thin. They don't touch the HPW at all. Other owners have said that gliders go nuts for this glider crack. I really don't know how to get them to eat anything other than fresh fruits, veg, and chicken.
Here's the recipe:
1 small can white chunk chicken (drained & rinsed well)
1/2 an avocado
1 scrambled egg
1/2 tsp Rep-cal
water

Put all in the food processor or blender & add water until its a paste consistency.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders