GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Does this happen to your pouches?
Question
Feb 14 2018
08:37:55 PM
Hi!
So I hope you guys all had a Happy Valentines Day. :) So, this past past weekend, I made some pouches for the sugar gliders, On Sunday, I put a pouch in Comet and Abel’s cage. So now, today I went to check on them ( and to switch out pouches in both the cages) so I noticed that on the inside of the pouch, there’s this light brown stain? Well, not really a stain. My question is, does this happen to anybody? What is it? They both are unneutered males, so maybe could it be the stuff that comes out of their scent glands? Or poop or pee or something? Is three days too long to use the same pouch?
Question
Feb 14 2018
10:02:27 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
we tend to change out the pouch and wash it every few weeks. sometimes up to a month even. that might be a little long, BUT think about it, these critters live in a tree hollow in the wild. No one cleans their tree, unless they do.
We have two oversized pouches for the 7 glider colony, they pick one and MOST of the time all 7 are in the same one all the time, even if it gets a little stinky they usually don't switch to the unused clean one, until we take out the dirty one and wash it.

I would think one to two weeks for washing is fine.
I don't know what the brown is, we have neutered males and females, I sometimes find old food bites or a few poo bits in pouch, it's strong with their scent before washing.
Question
Feb 15 2018
12:29:19 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Light brow stain on the inside of the pouch, could be pee or poo if it's localised, but is most likely their fur oil if it's on a large area.
Males indded mark with the scent glands, which can leave a stain, but even without that, females and neutered males do mark as well, and their body oil is staining anyway.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders