Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New suggies. New parent concerns with health.
Question
Feb 22 2018
02:06:46 PM
I got two new suggies from the pet glider on the 15th of February. They’re super sweet and eating all of their food. Even playing very loudly at night. But I have noticed my male Roscoe hisses/sneezes/barks when I work up this morning at six. I had him and my other glider momo in the tub for an hour and he seemed perfectly fine I thought maybe he was having trouble urinating or going poop but no sounds came out and he peed on me in the tub.

Maybe I’m just a helecopter parent. These are the first pets I’ve bought with my own money and I want to make sure that they stay healthy. Finding a vet that isn’t 2 hours away is difficult I live in the Pittsford area of Vermont and even then the distances to the grocery is like 10-15 minutes. I’m just really worried he’s going to end up sick. Once the mealies I got (timberline) are gone im going to switch to the ones that the pet glider sells. They do eat all of their TPG too and drinking water. Maybe im just over thinking
Question
Feb 23 2018
11:02:12 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Your glider may be just grooming, if you have noticed that the one in question is actually peeing and not making any of those sounds, then thT is likely. He/she could be having constipation though, so maybe it's when pooping that you hear these sounds. Watch and listen closely to tell exactly what is happening when you hear the sounds, as well to listen carefully when you see him/her going to potty, whether you hear any sounds.

If you find that it is related to peeing, then you would unfortunately be advised to take to vet.

Here's to hoping just grooming or at worst a little constipation.
Question
Feb 24 2018
12:00:44 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
barking is normal, not usually a health concern.

we have one glider that we got single and he hisses a ton when he wakes up and seems to pee. took him to the vet and the vet said he was healthy and active, plus he had no swelling or redness around his bottom, vet said he looked very normal.
Vet said the hissing maybe from a past infection and has become habit, said to keep an eye on his bottom side, but wouldn't give him medication just because he hisses.

If sneezing is in the sleeping pouch, that could be him grooming, hard to be sure without seeing or hearing him.

I look at how our gliders look, fur, nails, bottom side. How they act, each one has a personality and that personality does vary from time to time, but overall if they are acting normal, moving around at night normally. (NOTE: some sleep a lot at night. some are up guarding the castle.) Also, look at the eyes, gliders can get a tooth infection/absess and the bottom of eye will swell up large, then a vet visited is needed.

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Feb 24 2018 12:16:23 PM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders