Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Biting glider how do I re correct that to at most nipping
Question
Feb 25 2018
04:08:24 PM
I recently got two suggies from the pet glider I know bonding takes time that I’m willing to work for. But my female momo all she wants to do is bite when I let her crawl on me roscoe is a sweetheart I know she’s scared but when I try to do a breathy soft no towards her face she crabs and bites harder. I even tried the tssst sound and she’s just keen on biting me. I want to keep working with her but it’s so painful. To the point where she draws blood all over my hands and arm (she goes from the pouch into one of my sleeves) I even give her plenty of treats when my hands are there. I’m lost on what to do to hopefully make her stop. When I do the tssst sound to Roscoe he listens.

I let momo come out of her pouch on her own I pet her lightly when she’s snacking and I try everything I can to speak softly and not scare her I don’t even try to pick her up where Roscoe lets me walk around and help him. I know it will take lots more time. I just want to make that time just a bit more pleasant. Any help is appreciated :)
Question
Feb 26 2018
01:32:42 PM
BennyNace Glider Visit BennyNace's Photo Album 100 Posts
How long have you had them? It sounds like she is trying to show you who is boss. It's ok, just let her think she is boss. ive had a few biters also. What i did was, put her im a pouch, or a square piece of fleece, and let her lay on your belly and sleep there. She will get use to your scent as she sleeps. Just remember, it's on her terms. Make a routine and have cuddle time every day at the same time. Have mealies in hand also. They really help.
Question
Feb 26 2018
02:18:57 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
because you said "recently got" I would suggest backing off for a little while.
If she is biting you, maybe you don't need one on one contact so fast.
Get her in the pouch during the day, zip it up, let her sleep with you and your scent. if you have to have some tent time, stop her from getting on you for some weeks. let her run around but not on you.

some say a scent can do it also. strawberry soap? peach shampoo?, mealworm flavored hand sanitizer?

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Feb 26 2018 02:23:04 PM
Question
Mar 04 2018
01:52:15 AM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by BYK_Chainsaw

mealworm flavored hand sanitizer?

Lol

One of mine is a bit nippy, but he's gotten a lot better about it the longer I've had him. He doesn't nip my sister anymore either.
Question
Nov 28 2018
11:21:32 AM
Jesselou802 Joey 11 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by BennyNace

How long have you had them? It sounds like she is trying to show you who is boss. It's ok, just let her think she is boss. ive had a few biters also. What i did was, put her im a pouch, or a square piece of fleece, and let her lay on your belly and sleep there. She will get use to your scent as she sleeps. Just remember, it's on her terms. Make a routine and have cuddle time every day at the same time. Have mealies in hand also. They really help.

I have had them for a lot longer now, the backing off actually did come in handy. currently right now im in college and my gliders are with my boyfriend up in Maine. His mom has them on a whole schedule and the glider that was a little more difficult to bond with its pretty close with her currently. When I am up visiting him for a couple weeks im going to take her approach to Momo since it seems to work. This site's been really helpful when im worried about my gliders. I know now that she'll just take time to bond with maybe a couple years but it will be worth it when they come around.

(his mom has them trained to the point where they wake up around noon time just for treats through the cage plus a snack and then going back to sleep. its honestly so cute, they'll wait for her on their fleece piece until she pulls back the cage cover. They're so spoiled over there and well loved on which is all I could hope for while im away at college. They had never taken care of sugar gliders previously but they learned really quick when I gave them papers with the research I've done.)

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders