Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Can mom be rejecting her joey partly?
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Mar 07 2018
01:53:30 AM
Hello, I just got my first pair of sugar gliders after the female got pregnant. I realize now that that was very irresponsible of the breeder to rehome the gliders with Joey's in pouch. However they have a much better home with me and I strive to take good care of them. That being said, the Joey's first ventured out of pouch about 5 days ago. I make sure the parents always have fresh water, always have glider complete in a dish. Fresh fruits and vegetables and some type of protein (eggs,chicken,hamburger) every day along with their meal worms and some yogurt. However today I noticed that she was not letting the little girl nurse as much as she was the boy. And she wouldn't show much effort if it was wandering around aimlessly in the blanket. She is not hurting it but just doesn't seem to want to let it nurse as much as the boy. Is this normal? And should I be doing anything? I did put together a little bit of booster milk in a bottle and try to feed it to the baby, she licked just a little bit of it but didn't seem too interested.

Edited by - SookyandBogan on Mar 07 2018 01:55:19 AM
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Mar 07 2018
12:32:00 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
It can happen if the mother doesnt have enough milk. I'd keep an eye on that joey, and if she doesnt grow as fast as her brother or doesnt seem to gain weight, you could supplement feed her with marsupial replacement milk

a good site with information regarding rejected joeys and supplement feeding : http://www.suzsugargliders.com/handraisingajoey.htm
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Mar 07 2018
03:40:42 PM
SookyandBogan Starting Member 6 Posts
Thank you for your advice.
Yes, the girl is smaller than the boy but more active...and I'm not sure if its because she's not getting as much milk as her brother or because she ooped a couple days after him. I upped the meat/egg protein in the moms diet and they do BML too. She's a pig and the dad just prefers fruit and veggies.
I just don't want to take any chances.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders