Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonding Help
Bonding Help
Question
Mar 08 2018
10:02:25 PM
A couple a days ago I adopted a mother and two babies. I was told from the previous owners that the babies were 3 months old. There is one male and one female joey. The mother lets me pet her without crabbing or running away. The babies crab and bite, especially the male. What is the best bonding techniques that anyone can recommend? I bought a tent so that the mother can run around without getting hurt as well as the babies. Are the babies and mother too old to bond with me at this point?
Question
Mar 09 2018
12:54:38 AM
Tabbie Glider Visit Tabbie's Photo Album 64 Posts
They aren’t too old to bond. Depending on how their previous owner was and how much they were handled it may take long. Our babies bonded super quick. If mom is already letting you pet her that’s a good sign. Just have them in a bonding pouch a lot and continue tent time. And try to give mom a break from the babies since she doesn’t have the father to pawn them off on.
Question
Mar 09 2018
10:34:58 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
To me, bonding is mostly just the glider learning you are NOT a predator that is going to eat them, that they are SAFE with you, you are their big friendly tree. I think with enough bonding work ANY glider can learn to bond with you.
You need to give them TIME and persistent work. You need to keep trying with them, don't give up. Keep pushing them to try to be a little more trusting of you, put do it over a long time if needed. You can't push them in one day.
Example...Link was not bonded, scared of us, suppose to be one of the kids gliders, but kids did nothing with him. So finally I took over. I would feed him a treat at night, get him to come to me at cage door. Spend some time with him in bathroom. then at treat time I started making him step one foot on my arm to get his treat. then later, 2 feet on my arm, he would stretch so hard trying not to step on me, but I just held the treat farther away till he got on my arm with 2 feet. Over time I moved to having him get all the way on my arm for his treat, soon as he got it he would jump off me and run to eat it away from me. finally one day he did NOT run away, he stayed on my arm and eat the treat. Finally I could get him on my arm, I would pull away from cage so he was stuck on me, feed him treats. then I started taking him to the kitchen for live mealworms.
Now at night, after Link has had time to wake up, when he first wakes up he will actually stay away from me. But some he will see me, come to front of cage, then if I open door he is right on my arm, mostly wanting a ride to kitchen for live mealworms, but some days he just gets a petting.

give your gliders lots of time to get used to you, be persistent keep giving them attention and playroom time and bonding pouch time.
NOTE: in pouch at daytime ours are much more likely to want to be left alone and crab. at night while awake they are much more likely to be friendly, curious, active. Mary is not bonded, still stays away from us, but in playroom when treats come out she is on me crawling around trying to get a mealworm.

live or dried mealworms are the best treats, but very fattening so you have to keep them to smaller amount.

you dont always have to pet them, or grab them, or hold them. I will put my hand below and in front of them and let them come to me, sniff me. sometimes I will use a two handed scoop to pick up the less friendly ones. they feel less scared cause they think they can get away by climbing over my hands, but I pull them up and away to fast. many gliders, even friendly ones may nip if you try the one handed pick up, we have some that are fine with that, but most are happier walking onto you all by themselves.

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Mar 09 2018 10:43:44 PM
Question
Mar 11 2018
06:53:00 PM
eevee081717 Joey Canada 14 Posts
The best things I have found for bonding with a glider that bites etc etc is:

1. Treats... lots and lots of treats. Once they figure out that seeing you means they get something good they will want to come to you
2. Baby food/yogurt... Once you establish the whole treat thing start using treats that they have to stay with you to get. Something they have to lick off your finger
3. Bonding pouch... through this whole process make sure to use the bonding pouch a lot. Simply have them in there and sit down to watch TV, you don't want to be moving around a lot just have some quiet time with them. Also keep the mesh part of the pouch facing you, makes them feel safer to start with and gives them more of your scent.
4. Talking about scent... Make sure to get your scent on something (I just use pieces of fleece) and put those in the cage pouch where they sleep. They know this pouch is safe so eventually they will come to see your scent as safety this way
5. Tent time... A wonderful way to have fun and let your gliders get to know you

And remember as has already been said this is going to take time. Sometimes weeks, months or even years... have patience and don't get frustrated with them. It's hard but also remember to take the bite if they do get you, pulling back teaches them that if they bite your going to stop doing whatever you were doing and that's not good. Once they figure out your not going to back away and nothing bad happened then they will stop
Bonding Help

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonding Help