Skadoosh, A Long Story
Next |
Page: of 2
Skadoosh, A Long Story
Health related
Mar 09 2018
08:56:11 PM
A back story...
So, I may not have mentioned this before, but my life has been pretty crazy this year. Both my mom and big sis got the flu and both were hospitalized, my mom first, then my sis went in the night before my mom was discharged. Anyway, my mom has needed constant care for pretty much since, although is getting stronger and doing much better. She's pretty old, and I don't know that she's going to recover fully, and will always need someone here for if not all the time, most of the time.

Reason for the back story...
Due to my mom's condition, my big sis and I (I moved in with them after my move from AZ), alternate sleeping on the main floor where my mom sleeps, in the case she needs anything. Needless to say, doing this doesn't allow for much sleep, but it is getting slightly better as she is getting more well and regaining strength. So, this pasts Wednesday night was my turn downstairs and I really didn't see my gliders much (I haven't had so much extra time other than main care since my mom's been sick). However, last week there were two nights when Skadoosh wanted to come out and play. And play she did, it was so fun! She was exploring all over the play, checking things and toys out, climbing in the bins and even glided to me a couple of times each time. The first play session it was just her, the second time, Ollie graced us with his presence and we all had a blast.

Back to Wednesday night...
or I shall say evening when I came home from work. My son has to use my PC to get some stuff done, so he stopped by Wednesday & Thursday after work. He gets here before I even get out of work, so was up in my room Wednesday on my computer. When I got home I came up to check on everyone and say hi. I noticed Skadoosh wasn't out, it bothered me a little, but it actually wasn't that strange as she's not always out of pouch around that time, and with my son in the room, she'd be less inclined due to being unfamiliar with him. So I really don't know why it bothered me any at all, it just did.

Onto Thursday morning...
I was in and out of my room as usual, doing typical morning activities, prepping for work. I always peek in the cage, whether I hear sounds or not, and when I did I saw that Skadoosh was up. Now this isn't that unusual in itself, either Ollie or Skadoosh will be up a little later than usual some mornings scavenging around for nummies or any desired leftover food (usually kibble). But, again that strange sense came over me, which I kept brushing off as being paranoid (been since Lulu's passing, RIP Lulu). Anyway, I could hear movement in the cage periodically and checked in frequently anyway (couldn't shake that feeling). Skadoosh had been perfectly normal in everyway when I saw her Wednesday morning and prior (remember I didn't really have an opportunity to see her much that evening or night), but that feeling??? Every time I checked in on her, she was in a different area of the cage, even in the wheel at some point, so I figured all was okay. Off to work I went, but that nagging feeling something was amiss was still with me. I hope I don't sound like I'm stupid, but I could honestly sense something was wrong, yet still justify that all was okay and not out of the norm, if you know what I mean, I really thought I kept worrying over nothing. Even so, when I returned home from work Thursday evening, I immediately rushed to check on her to be sure. I was hoping that all would be as normal, normal enough that I wouldn't fret over nothing. And even though my son was over, working on my computer, I just really thought I'd run up and be like, everything is fine, Skadoosh is alright, I'm just being paranoid. Only she wasn't, and it was very, very apparent abnormality. I watched her for what seemed like five minutes, but am sure it was only a couple before I scooped her up and held her in my hand. I was checking her out, trying to see if I could tell why she was moving so funny. She was moving funny, not good, not good at all and I was horrified. It was going 7pm by this time and I tried calling the closest exotic vet, hoping and praying they were still open. They were, but turns out their exotic vet left there last October. They gave me some numbers of some others, and we ended up going to the 24hr Falls Road Animal Hospital.

Falls Road Animal Hospital...
We arrived there probably somewhere between 730-740pm (my son came with me, God bless him). I had called ahead to be sure they had an exotic vet on duty prior. I took Skadoosh up to the counter to "check her in", they took her right away and got my information, initial payment and told me that she would be checked out and then they'd come get me. It took a while, but I won't drag this out any longer. Eventually the Dr. said that she examined her and she looked fine and everything checked out okay in initial exam. She said to do any diagnostics (bloodwork), they'd need to sedate her and she felt that it wasn't worth the stress on her when she wasn't feeling so well. She said she felt like the best action was to treat her with antibiotic and pain meds. She said that they could keep her overnight for monitoring or I could take her home (bringing her back if need to). After carefully considering the circumstances and benefits for leaving her or bringing her home, I decided to bring her home. If they had stated that they felt she needed to be kept, I would have left her, but they were just offering as an option, so I brought her home. I felt that she would be scared and lonely left there, this would stress her out more, and Ollie would also be stressed, not knowing what happened to Skadoosh.

This brings me to today & tonight (Friday)...
Today was a long day at work, all I could think of was coming home to take care of my baby Skadoosh. I'm really glad that it's Friday though, 'cause I got two days to monitor her more closely and even take her back if I feel she's not getting better.

I don't want to loose her...
I know the time inevitably comes when we have to say goodbye, but I don't want that to be the case now. I'm paranoid I'm not getting the meds into her right, I have a hard time telling what she's getting. I worry, I have a chance to save her that I didn't have with Lulu. And what about Ollie boy? What happens then if we loose Skadoosh too? I'm not in an arrangement where I can set up a second dwelling for a new cage mate, there is simply no space available here for that (I barely have space for me and my gliders, hence living out of a storage unit pretty much). What will my options be? I don't want to give him up, could I keep him alone? So many questions, so many worries.

Health related
Mar 09 2018
10:12:00 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
We picked up connor from friend of co-worker. His cagemate had died and it seems they just put him in the backroom and let him be. I say that cause he crabs like crazy. Less now, but still plenty. I feed him treats, can now pet him, he likes to poke his head out of the pouch and look around, I see him and talk to him. He got a clean bill of health from the vet, he is the perfect weight, has no issues with over grooming. he will sniff my hands, walk on my arm in cage. He is VERY jumpy and nervous. I have not had enough out of cage time with him. We want to put him with our colony but haven't done enough scent training. With everything we are not doing enough of with him, he is doing great. Starting to get friendly with me, starting to finally eat some veggies and fruits with his OHPW.
I truly believe if you get in the sad and unfortunate position of only one glider, your glider will be ok if they have you.

We have a pair of great glider doctors here. One thing they let me know, gliders are small and can fall victim to illness very fast and suddenly. there is sometimes NOTHING you can do. We have been lucky to have only lost one, we have our good glider doctors and a 24 hour vet just down the street, but no glider vet there.

Just do the best you can, that is all you can do.
Health related
Mar 09 2018
10:51:48 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Thank you BYK, for sharing your story and words of encouragement. I really do hope it won't be anytime soon, but will consider your thoughts on the matter, they've been helpful.

Luckily, the time of day (later evening), traffic wasn't so bad getting there and back. Traffic in that area is horrendous during daytime hours. It took only twenty-some minutes. The other places they gave me.were at least almost has far, if not farther. No one (two offices gave me locations to call), mentioned the animal hospital I've consulted with and used prior to my move to AZ. I am curious now if their Dr. is still there, however that's probably farther away from me now than the Falls Road one is anyway.
Health related
Mar 10 2018
10:54:26 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
TJones much love to ya!! Anyone that has read even one of your posts here knows how much you love your babies and how dedicated to them you are.

Gliders can do very well on there own given they are getting enough attention and socialization with their humans. Especially after losing a cage mate because I believe they grieve as much as the humans do and need us most at that time.

There is absolutely NO reason to give up the remaining glider simply for being alone unless YOU feel that is whats best for him/her. Personally ( in your case ) I believe he/she is best off staying with you regardless if you can get another cage mate or not.

Some may think that keeping a lone surviving glider is selfish, but I see it as the glider is already in very capable and loving hands with someone they know and love. Giving them up isn't selfish either if that is what is best for the glider.

It's really a case by case thing and the only one that can make the "whats best for the glider" decision is YOU and You aren't going to make that decision lightly. So know in your heart what ever you decided it's the right thing for you and your glider.

Now You know me, I have questions....

What meds are you giving and how are you administering them?

what are the symptoms ?

what was the diagnosis if they gave one?

Health related
Mar 11 2018
09:24:49 AM
Thank you Leela.

The antibiotic is Baytril ( if that's the correct spelling, I'm not reding from the bottle). I'm not giving dosages, not sure how rules apply to that here. She gets dose every 12 hrs for 10 days. Pain med was every 24 hrs for 3 days, so done with that last night. I administer them using syring, I have learned to squirt it directly in her mouth.

She was not diagnosed, the vet didn't want to subject her to diagnostics. I didn't notice any symptoms other than when I first noticed how she was moving around the cage Thursday evening after getting home from work. The events of Wednesday evening and Thursday morning were more of mind-battle of witnessing what wasn't exactly odd behavior, at least not clear-cut, but I do worry a lot about my babies a little more since Lulu's passing. (RIP Lulu, I miss you still.). Anything that I noticed or didn't notice was basically between very short periods of observation, with all that's going on right now. If I had watched her more closely Wednesday evening, or Thursday morning, I may have noticed she wasn't moving right. The only thing I observed was she didn't move right and she didn't look good.

I did notice that they were eating a little less food, or that's how it appeared Wednesday and Thursday morning. But that isn't exactly to strange either, as it happens from time to time.

I'm really hoping my decision doesn't need to be made anytime soon, however I'm leaning on keeping a lone glider at this point , when it happens, unless I notice it's too detrimental. I was at least Ollie's fourth home, I don't think I could pass the quirky little guy on. And if it's Skadoosh left, well I don't believe I could give her up either. I'd have to find a way to make it work, the best I can.

Edited by - TJones09 on Mar 11 2018 09:25:42 AM
Health related
Mar 11 2018
10:44:31 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
ok baytril is a broad spectrum antibiotic (it covers a lot of things)

the easiest way I've found to give meds is to hold the glider with left hand fingers wrapped around the chest with thumb kind of under their chin and just lift them so they are "standing" on their back feet ( this makes them feel more secure because they aren't up in the air and prevents them from using their back feet as leverage to get out of your hand)

Put the syringe to the side of their jaw I usually do the gliders left side of the mouth ( right side when holding them facing you it's less awkward for me ) just press it gently on their jaw and they will open their mouth then get in the mouth and inject the meds to the back of the mouth

you know they got it when they shake their head

now with baytril, you also want to give them yogurt with live cultures inbetween baytril doses.

Antibiotics don't just kill bad bacteria it kills good bacteria too so yogurt with live cultures helps to restore the good guteral bacteria. Yoplait yogurt has live cultures make sure there are no artificial sweeteners and it isn't low fat it should say live cultures on the container. I usually put some yogurt in a straw and give it to them in between antibiotic doses.

she may have been dehydrated did the vet or you check her? how is she acting now that she's been on meds??

Edited by - Leela on Mar 11 2018 10:47:58 AM
Health related
Mar 11 2018
06:03:55 PM
Leela, thank you for the tip on administering her med. I have noticed her shake her head, definitely the last 3 doses, so can't remember now about Friday's am & pm dose, I think she shook her head a little.

I've tried offering yogurt this morning, she would not take any. I will continue to try offering yogurt each day. Maybe I can try using syringe to get some yogurt in her as well, but I'd have to water it down a little.

I also tried offering avacado, she wouldn't touch it, but she's not touching anything solid.

She was a little dehydrated Thursday evening, they gave Sub Q. She's been drinking water and her nectar (CLC). I've noticed that she's peed a few times where I can be sure it's hers. I took a pic of a small puddle she just made in the last hour, looks like a tiny piece of poo may have dropped there too, it's so small.

Edited by - TJones09 on Mar 11 2018 06:12:12 PM
Health related
Mar 11 2018
07:45:10 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Hi TJones,

Just wanted to check in, hoping things are going better for your entire family. Also, I wanted to share a story with you. Last year, I was looking to adopt a single glider. No breeder would let me adopt since they said gliders are colony animals and need companions. I was getting increasingly discouraged, feeling like I was doing a disservice to my future glider, yet knowing that one is all I can take on at this time. So of course, Leela's post really touched me as well!

I ended up calling Peggy at Critter Love. I asked her if she would let me adopt a single glider. She responded "of course". I was so relieved, and excited. I told her how happy I was because most breeders won't adopt out a single glider because they need companions. I'll never forget her response: "YOU will be her companion!" That just felt so powerful. I knew I would be giving her a ton of love and attention but it still felt so good to hear that confirmation. At the same time, I wanted to keep an eye on her in case there were signs of loneliness or depression. After talking with Peggy, I proceeded to adopt a beautiful leucistic female I named Gracie. She is the love of my life, happier and more energetic than I could have imagined. And thanks to Peggy and all of you wonderful and knowledgeable people here, I have confidence knowing that I will take excellent care of my little one and know that I have her best interests at heart.

Please keep us posted on how everything is going with you.
Health related
Mar 11 2018
08:34:49 PM
Peggy is awesome! she's one of THE most positive people I have ever met
Health related
Mar 11 2018
10:09:30 PM
Thank you Tia (hope it's okay shortening the SN)

Well, I called the animal hospital this evening, Skadoosh is still not eating solids. She was drinking water Friday and did pee a little. I've actually seen pee that I could identify as hers int he cage due to her location and timing. Also, she peed once in the bin I use for Ned administration. She is more active as well and earlier this evening there was a tiny poo in a very small puddle from her.n the pee was a dark yellow, and looked abnormal, but she had drank a decent amount of CLC when offered to her 3x Sarturday and today. I can't be sure how much water she drank, if any.

I'm concerned about dehydration, but the exotic vet was not in this evening, she is scheduled for tomorrow. Mi plan on taking her in. In the meantime, a little later in the evening I tried to get her to drink plain water and she wouldn't. It may be because she had recently had the CLC. However, she did have two very tiny poops while I was holding her and trying to get her to drink just water. Also, she did groom herself a little, spitting in her hands and washed her face. She may have felt dirty from the failed attempt earlier to give her yogurt and honey water.

Tiakristen3, hoping the best and happy life for you and Gracie.

Edited by - TJones09 on Mar 11 2018 10:11:26 PM
Health related
Mar 11 2018
10:22:12 PM
Have you looked at her teeth and gums?

not eating isn't all that abnormal as you mentioned before but I'd have a look in her mouth or have the vet look in her mouth n check teeth.

it might also be the meds putting her off her food a little.

I think I remember that you use water silo's rather than water bottles? please correct me if I'm wrong.

You can check for dehydration yourself, Pinch the skin on the middle of her back thumb on one side of spine finger on the other. If the skin stays up like a tent or goes down slowly she's dehydrated if the skin snaps right back she's fine.

Try orange gaterade with a syringe if she is dehydrated give just like giving meds a little at time, keep her warm a cold glider won't eat or drink as much

Health related
Mar 12 2018
07:23:28 AM
Leela, thank you so much, your tips for med administrating work great! I'm having more confidence in giving her meds and that she's getting it all. Good to know about the "head shake" I really didn't know what to think about that prior.

I do use silos, and added a covered cup open water source as well, will not use a water bottle again unless I have to.

I will try the "tent test" on her again after work. I may be taking her back to vets this evening unless I see drastic improvement. I wasn't present during the vet examination, although she told me she checked her out and even did glucose and everything seemed fine, why she went with Baytril.

I'm picking up some Gatorade and a dropper as well, along with other items I feel she might need, someone mentioned pumpkin to help with her poop.

She's had three total, very tiny poops yesterday or even since the night before, I'm sorry but every day is running together.

I have to go off to work now, but will update you asap. Thanks again so much!
Health related
Mar 13 2018
06:18:16 AM
Tuesday 7am...
I removed the nighttime meal from cage just as Ollie decided to come out to grab a bedtime snack. I let him drink a bit of CLC, as he kept going for it every time I touched the silo, lol, it was so cute. He got a yogi.

Anyway, I fixed a fresh dish of watered-down and got Skadoosh out of pouch in hopes she'd drink some. She went immediately to where the silo of CLC was, but then did end up drinking the mixture. She kept going back to look for CLC and I considered bringing her some, then decided on bringing up some pumpkin. Ollie ate some, Skadoosh was drinking some of the Gatorade/water. Then I remembered the grapes. So I went down and cut one in half.

She's eating it!!!! I mean she is going to town on this thing! She's still eating it as I type, and believe me it's been a quite a few minutes since I got on here to share this update.

I'm leaving what's left of grape, pumpkin (Ollie ate some), and the Gatorade/water in the cage for the day, just in case.

She gets her meds at 8, go to go, lots to do before work today.

And yes, I got a bit of sleep last night, even though I was up a couple of times checking in, no one was up at those times, so went back to bed (got to sleep in my bed last night, tonight is mom-duty). I may sleep for a week after all this is over, lol.

Edited by - TJones09 on Mar 13 2018 06:19:03 AM
Health related
Mar 13 2018
05:56:44 PM
Yesterday I had a concern about her urine being so dark yellow. It's getting lighter again with her drinking more plain water, and maybe perhaps the Gatorade mixture.

Tuesday evening...
I got in and pulled Skadoosh out of the pouch, offering her a half of orange slice (like a clementine sized). After she took it and began to eat it, I got Ollie out and gave him the other half. They both ate some, not all, but that's okay.

I took a little CLC that was left in a bottle and added some pumpkin, quite a bit of it actually, then added a tad of vanilla yogurt. I'm a bit worried she's constipated, I saw her tail going up like she was trying to poo, but none came out. I figured she'd get some nutrients if she drinks it, but so far hasn't touched it. It is served on the side in a small dish (same as Gatorade/water). I will serve their f/v bowls at usual time, then bring their regular CLC up a little later, I just want to see if she'll drink it, I want her to be able to poo.

I am feeling rather encouraged, I guess it was just taking a while for the meds to get her to feel well enough to start trying to eat. She is still washing her face as usual, so I feel good about that too. Ollie and her have been so sweet to each other. My main concern is that she poops I think at this point.
Health related
Mar 13 2018
09:21:32 PM
Hi again TJones,

Thank you for your kind words the other day. Means a lot (and yes, 'Tia' is fine).

I have to say, your dedication and care are such an inspiration. It's nice to get updates on your little ones, especially encouraging ones!

Keep up the good work and take care!
Health related
Mar 14 2018
09:16:06 PM
Glad they helped ! so glad she's improving!!!
Health related
Mar 15 2018
04:39:58 AM
Thanks again Tia and Leela.

Yesterday morning she ate some grape, this morning I offered orange, and she ate some of that. Other than drinking CLC, she doesn't touch the salad, at least that I can see.

I'm picking up more grapes and some watermelon today.
Health related
Mar 15 2018
10:42:45 AM
have you looked at her teeth?
Health related
Mar 15 2018
10:03:08 PM
I see her front top teeth when I administer med. I don't really notice anything amiss, but not sure what I'd be looking for. I really think he vet should have checked them during initial exam, and would have mentioned if something was wrong. And yes, I use water silos, but added a covered water cup as an open water source as well.

She has a follow up Saturday morning.

She enjoyed the watermelon this evening and some more grape.

Her urine looked a lot better this evening and had two small stools, that appeared slightly bigger and softer than previous.

Edited by - TJones09 on Mar 15 2018 10:07:58 PM
Health related
Mar 15 2018
10:48:07 PM
ok if she's not eating more solids by the follow up visit have them do a dental exam. If she has a tooth issue it may hurt to eat solids.

I just took Cocoa in for her to top front teeth removed, turns out she lost most of her teeth instead of just 2. They were all loose and fell out on their own at the vets office as she was getting ready to remove the front teeth.

I knew her front ones were bad but I didn't see that her others were bad and I use a LED forhead light and magnifying glasses when I check teeth, still missed them,I guess I was so focused on the top teeth I dunno.

But she was at a point where she couldn't even meal worms her teeth just couldn't get through the skin so I'm sure she also struggled with hard fruit like cantaloupe etc... with 4 other gliders in her cage it's hard to tell what she was eating and what she wasn't.

Health related
Mar 16 2018
05:02:32 AM
This weekend is nail trimming. I offer a buffet of freeze dried mealies, I'll see how she does. This would be most likely on Sunday. I will try offering her one today, so if I notice an issue, I can bring it up to the vet. And, I will ask if her teeth look okay.
Health related
Mar 16 2018
10:43:23 PM
Skadoosh enjoyed some freeze dried meal worms today!

Hoping vet visit goes well tomorrow.

Edited by - TJones09 on Mar 16 2018 10:45:07 PM
Health related
Mar 17 2018
07:03:42 PM
The vet visit...
Skadoosh had a pretty good follow up. She weighted 108g, Ollie came along for company and they weighed him as well. He weighed 148g.

I'm to continue finishing the meds and monitoring her, I am to bring her back if there is any setbacks for further testing. There was no imperative need to sedate her for more in depth examination and testing at this time.

Health related
Mar 18 2018
05:35:57 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Just following your story and glad to hear the good news! I'll still keep your fuzz butts in my prayers though because I know how we worry about our fur babies.
Health related
Mar 18 2018
08:41:15 AM
Thank you K, I do appreciate that!

Last dose of antibiotic...
Skadoosh had her last dose of antibiotic this morning. She already looked a lot better (other than pouch fur, lol). She had a normal sized, softer poo (probably due to the watermelon and grapes she's been eating) during the dosing process.

I didn't offer any watermelon or grape with last nights dinner. But I did place a small dish with two pieces each of avocado and grape halves. No one came out of pouch to eat any, so when Skadoosh's dosing time came I pulled a half a grape out, gave her med, then offered her some avocado. She took it! She ate the rest in the cage, then she went for the grape!

I'll be keeping tabs on her though, especially over the next few days after meds.

Health related
Mar 20 2018
02:41:14 AM
Effsan Glider Visit Effsan's Photo Album 64 Posts
Hey Tjones, thanks for sharing your journey with Skadoosh with us. It'll be very useful for any one of us who might at a point (touch wood) go through similar situations.

Glad to hear that she's getting stronger now. May all go well from now =)
Health related
Mar 20 2018
09:30:51 AM
Thank you Effsen!
Health related
Mar 25 2018
10:12:13 PM
Skadoosh is in the hospital. I had to take her back in today as an emergency. She seemed okay Friday evening, I weighed her and it was down 8 grams from the hospital weight, but I wasn't sure if it was due to being a different scale. Otherwise she seemed fine. She's been skiddish around me since the treatment, I'll see her take some food then run to the back of the cage to eat. I've been sick in bed all day, I heard moving around on and off, didn't think a whole lot, sometimes Ollie gets up for a midday snack. I thought I even heard the wheel for a bit at one time. I finally got up and checked on them and Skadoosh didn't look too good. She was like before, so I called and took her to the vet. I'll have to wait till tomorrow to hear any news.
Health related
Mar 25 2018
10:25:43 PM
So sorry to hear that. My thoughts and prayers are with you and wishing you both a speedy recovery!
Health related
Mar 26 2018
04:08:07 AM
Thank you.

Just heard from the hospital, Dr called to report that Skadoosh's condition has worsened and they are continuing trying to help her through the night, but wanted to let me know she may not make it.

I had a feeling this was going to be the case, but I wanted to try to save her. I so wish now that I had more tests done on her last time. I was just so glad she was coming along and doing better, I didn't want to subject her to anything when it didn't seem she'd need to be.
Health related
Mar 26 2018
04:23:31 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
You have done all that you could and made decisions with the vet's advice and help, so don't second guess yourself. Whatever happens you've taken care of her with love. I'm praying for her, and for you.
Skadoosh, A Long Story
Next |
Page: of 2

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Skadoosh, A Long Story