Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
New owner; exciting moment. (Sharing)
Off topic chat
Mar 13 2018
11:25:09 PM
Guys this is my first time posting, I have used the site as a reference for a whole lot of knowledge for my new babies. I am new to glider gossip as well as New to owning sugar gliders. I bought two female suggies from a friend/breeder that is local and she is very helpful! Okay so I am going to introduce myself and my suggies and then get to the reason why I decided to post. I am soooo excited and would like to share my excitement with you all! Well my name is Stevie and my gliders are Satin & Shanel. My three year old loves the trolls movie :) and my favorite trolls were the ones connected by their hair. The connection they have with each other is just awesome almost as awesome as my new babies, and that is how they got their names #128513;. My kids just call them the babies though. The reason I decided to post tonight is because I have had my gliders almost a month. We have been in a pretty easy going bonding schedule because my work schedule has been messed up plus I want to give them space. I gave them a week alone in their cage before I tried bonding, actually it was about a week in a half. I would talk with them all night at the cage from the outside and give them treats but I just started the bonding pouch like last week and Satin let me pet her tonight!!!!!. I said hello when I walked by the pouch like I always do, Shanel crabs at me still I will shhh her kind of like you do a sleepy crying baby and rub her pouch to show her I’m not afraid and I’m not leaving her alone because of the crabbing I tell her softly it’s okay Mama loves her and just speak softly to her Satin still crabs some not as much. I pet her very briefly and then I gave her a treat. She seemed satisfied. Now I did try to put my hand under her front feet to let her walk on to my hand she didn’t like that and jumped off then I gave the treat and she was happy. I closed the cage and spoke softly to her. Was this a good response to this? I feel like I done a great job! I’m so so happy! Any suggestions or recommendations would be wonderful and appreciated. Thanks!
Off topic chat
Mar 22 2018
05:20:37 PM
Caelsis Joey Visit Caelsis's Photo Album 11 Posts
How much time on average a day do you actually spend with them?

Edited by - Caelsis on Mar 22 2018 05:22:12 PM
Off topic chat
Mar 22 2018
06:21:38 PM
Glidermama002 Starting Member 0 Posts
@Caelsis I spend 3/4 hours with them a day in the bonding pouch.
I did just purchase a tent and I have started spend a hour at night
With them in there. They still don’t come to me yet. One is a biter inside the cage.
I know that is her territory and she is still getting to know me and needs more time. I wonder if I could take them to work with me in the bonding pouch
With a slice of apple in the pouch and maybe carry some water with me to offer them during the day..? What do you think about that?
Off topic chat
Mar 22 2018
10:05:57 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
No, I would NOT take them to work yet. Give them and you more time, I do not believe one month is good enough with the way you describe. Sounds like you are making progress, that is what you need to look at.
Keep working on them, don't worry one bite about the crabbing, its like trying to teach a dog not to bark, some just like to bark. Our connor is new and making progress with bonding, he came out of pouch walking on my hand and eat his treat. I left and got his dinner, when I returned he was back in sleeping pouch and soon as I opened cage he's grabbing his head off.

I would wait until you can sit with your glider on your shoulder or in your shirt and they will stay there cause that is where they want to be, and handle them (maybe not hold) without them running away. Then consider taking them to work.
Off topic chat
Mar 23 2018
11:31:06 AM
Glidermama002 Starting Member 0 Posts
@BYK I agree with you on that, all the new smells may be too scary for them.
Off topic chat
Mar 23 2018
12:47:20 PM
SugarQueen Joey Visit SugarQueen's Photo Album 14 Posts
Hi Stevie

It helps to say their name over and over again softly. Don't imitate the buzzing or hissing sound they make as that is aggression they show to each other. It's a good thing you are trying to speak to them gently even when they are aggressive.

You could try a feather toy like the type you get for cats and have them chase it through the bars of the cage. So that they associate playing with you.

If you notice the female won't let you near her or her territory try offering her something she can't refuse when she does something good. So that she understands you are the person with the good stuff and not to be mean to you.

I usually hold the treats near the bars so they have to run up to me. She may try to swat the treat at first but hold it there until she realises its not dangerous.

Also the shhhh noise you make will upset them more as that is the noise they make when picking a fight. I learnt that the hard way. If you need them to back up without scaring them blow at them slowly.

If you have trouble getting her in a tent try some thick winter gloves. I know this seems strange but I find the gloves are good for new gliders so they don't associate hands with snatching them from their homes and dropping them in a tent. Eventually when they like you they will crawl out themselves and you won't need the gloves anymore.

Make sure the gloves are thick like ski gloves or thermal. This is so when they bite they won't draw blood. They are scared of you at the moment and if they end up biting you hard you're going to feel the same about them.

Another thing you can try is a large hamster ball so that they can roll around and see you while playing even if your busy. But remember put some tape to secure the balls as they can bash them open whilst knocking into things.

I hope all this helps. I'll let you know if I think of anything else. But don't give up as they all eventually bond. Each glider is individual our worst one is happy being picked up, jumping on us, playing but unfortunately won't stop pulling on my hair and digging into my scalp. It's a habit I've not yet been able to break.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat