GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
HAIR LOSS ON TAIL
HAIR LOSS ON TAIL
Health related
Mar 14 2018
02:25:42 PM
Hello!
I have two new babies that are two months old and they are losing hair at the end of their tails. I think they are chewing themselves or over grooming but I don’t know the cause.
I have a 5 year old glider in a separate cage and have not merged them all together yet. The older glider had two bald patches above her eyes last month so we moved the younger two glider’s Cage to another room because the vet said they could be causing her stress.
The older glider got better very fast but then we noticed the other two babies were losing hair in their tails...the vet told us to move them back in the same room as the older glider because they might be getting stressed about the separation. The balding on the tails has not improved and is getting worse...please help.

So I have two young gliders in one cage and an adult glider in another cage. They are all currently in the same room and we are slowing wanting to bond them and get the balding under control. Thanks
Health related
Mar 18 2018
05:49:11 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
I'm sorry you haven't gotten any answers. I really don't know either.

When I had gliders over groom the hair off their tails, it was due to stress. One was lonely and stopped as soon as I got her some cagemates. The other was stressed by being near a colony that rejected her, so I moved her to another room.

I have a boy who currently overgrooms above his eyes on his forehead. I haven't been able to figure out why and it varies between pretty bald to slightly bald. At this point I think it's just his habit now so as long as it doesn't get worse, I try not to worry.

So, maybe if you write a little more info someone will be able to offer more advice.

Here's some clarifying questions:
what size are the cages?
How close are the cages?
Were they ever in the same cage?
What are you doing to help them bond?
Are you scent swapping?
What toys do they have to play with?
What diet are they on?
Did your 5 year old ever have cagemates before?
Health related
Mar 27 2018
09:47:11 AM
SugarSlave566 Joey 15 Posts
I think that the older glider might be over grooming because he has no cage mate but I don't really have an idea about the two younger ones. Do they have a big cage and things to do? Maybe the presence of a bigger glider is causing them stress. Bigger gliders can easily hurt babies and babies can't defend against them so it can be very dangerous putting them together when already bonded.
HAIR LOSS ON TAIL

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
HAIR LOSS ON TAIL