Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
What does this noise mean?
Information
Mar 16 2018
08:58:21 AM
Hi! So I had gotten my first female glider in 2014 and yesterday I finally decided to get her a friend. I know I waited WAYYYY to long to get her a buddy but it was my first time and I know a lot about sugies now than what I did in 2014. So I got my little male glider yesterday. I have been doing everything that people have suggested to introduce them (using two separate enclosures just close enough for them to be able to smell and see each other and not be too close for them to get at each other through the bars, switching their sleeping pouches, etc.). But I noticed my little baby glider making this weird noise I’ve never heard any glider make before. Is it possible that he is homesick? Is he calling out to my other glider Mimzy? Or is he just wanting attention? He is super sweet and clingy for having just brought him home. He is 9 weeks oop. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Any name ideas for my little boy would be appreciated as well ;).Here is the noise he makes: https://youtu.be/egD9zBXthUs

Edited by - Smashly777 on Mar 16 2018 10:29:26 AM
Information
Mar 16 2018
06:14:14 PM
Jesselou802 Joey 11 Posts
Definitely trying to communicate. It doesn’t sound like anything abnormal to me anymore my male glider Roscoe makes this sound at night while I’m trying to sleep. It’s like a cross between hissing and backing which is two ways that they communicate. Your little guy is fine :$ if you hear the hissing sound while he is peeing I would have him checked out. If he makes it while pooping then he’s probably constipated and then you would look at the diet
Information
Mar 16 2018
06:35:42 PM
Smashly777 Starting Member 5 Posts
Thank you! My female has never made that noise so it fought me off guard hearing my new baby doing it. I am so glad it’s not anything abnormal. He is such a sweet little baby XD.
Information
Mar 16 2018
10:08:57 PM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Smashly777

Hi! So I had gotten my first female glider in 2014 and yesterday I finally decided to get her a friend. I know I waited WAYYYY to long to get her a buddy but it was my first time and I know a lot about sugies now than what I did in 2014. So I got my little male glider yesterday. I have been doing everything that people have suggested to introduce them (using two separate enclosures just close enough for them to be able to smell and see each other and not be too close for them to get at each other through the bars, switching their sleeping pouches, etc.). But I noticed my little baby glider making this weird noise I’ve never heard any glider make before. Is it possible that he is homesick? Is he calling out to my other glider Mimzy? Or is he just wanting attention? He is super sweet and clingy for having just brought him home. He is 9 weeks oop. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Any name ideas for my little boy would be appreciated as well ;).Here is the noise he makes: https://youtu.be/egD9zBXthUs

It sounds like he's crying for mom and dad. He probably misses them. As long as he's eating well he's probably fine. Give him lots of love, this may be the first time he's ever been alone and he's just a baby.

I've got a few name ideas but they're kind of lame lol

Nieve, Serendipity, Ditty
Information
Mar 17 2018
04:45:00 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
it's definitely the sound of a joey crying, he is basically calling for an adult of his colony to come and comfort him.
he is 9 weeks, which is young, and is probably terrified of his new environment and of the scary scary strangers residing around...
Basically, if he eats well and is normally active, it's not worrying, but he needs attention and is likely to feel lonely.

Edited by - sjusovare on Mar 17 2018 04:47:35 AM
Information
Mar 17 2018
11:10:18 AM
Yeah he is eating but not as much as I would like. And I’ve been giving him lots of love but I also don’t want to have him with me too much so that he can have some glider time so he can eat.
Information
Mar 17 2018
11:15:15 AM
I’ve also noticed that my adult female glider hasn’t been sleeping in her pouch. She’s been sleeping in her wheel on the bottom of the cage on the side closest to my new baby’s cage since I got him two days ago. I’m hoping this is a good sign that they are getting along.
Information
Mar 18 2018
04:25:24 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Difficult to tell, the fact that she sleeps in her wheel can mean many different thing, it might be she is trying to reply to the joey's cries, but it can also be that she senses an intruder on her teritory and is staying on guard to protect the cage...
What is her reaction when she sees him between the bars?
Information
Mar 18 2018
09:39:44 AM
She seems interested when she sees him but I can’t tell if it’s a friendly interest or not.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders