Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
is the cage too wide? and how to fix it
Question
Mar 20 2018
03:18:46 PM
hello everyone i was given a sugar glider by my parents about three days ago i was surprised and i don’t know if i’m ready for such a big responsibility he was given to me in a hamster cage so i immediately ordered him a sugar glider cage it arrived today with pouches and all i put him inside and he seemed happy but then i had some business to attend when i came back my suger glider was missing i freaked out and searched for him luckily he was inside one of my bags my questions is how did he escape!? when i bought that cage and i didn’t just buy it and go the shop showed me the cage with THREE sugar gliders the same size as mine living there and yet they didn’t escape i saw the cage at the shop and then went home and ordered it so 1-how mine escape? (assuming i didn’t forget to close the door tho there’s a 10% chance i did) 2-why did he feel so confident escaping although he’s new to this environment (my house) and i have cats 3-why did he think about escaping instead of staying in his cage with pouches and all that everyone SWEARS sugar gliders love and die for? apart from that i’m sorry if it seems like i don’t like him or want him but i’m just having a bad day and i can’t afford to change his cage because it was extremely expensive and where i live sugar gliders are extremely rare so it feels like a responsibility has fallen on me out of no where also how can i bond with him? he keeps biting and peeing on me + idk his age but i know he’s a male because of the bald spot on his head and well his balls but yeah how can i bond with him and prevent these things from happening in the future? rn he’s in his cage and i keep staring at it like “how did you even manage to escape” im confused.
Question
Mar 20 2018
04:08:49 PM
Tabbiecat Starting Member 3 Posts
One of our gliders can break out of most cages, they’re super smart and curious. He probably just wanted to check out his new home lol and our intact males pee on us at least once when we get them out, I’ve heard it’s them claiming you. As for biting one of ours would constantly, some say it’s them thinking you’re a tree, in the wild they bite trees for nectar, so we tried treat training and over time he no longer bites. We had to padlock one of our cages due to our escape artist.
Question
Mar 20 2018
11:26:35 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
Cage bars need to be 1/2 inch apart max. You might want to check that to be sure, some cages come in ferret size and have bigger bar spacing.
the only time a glider got out of our cage we figure we were playing with one with the door open and another one slipped out.
Question
Mar 21 2018
03:07:02 AM
floridahkilos Starting Member 6 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by BYK_Chainsaw

Cage bars need to be 1/2 inch apart max. You might want to check that to be sure, some cages come in ferret size and have bigger bar spacing.
the only time a glider got out of our cage we figure we were playing with one with the door open and another one slipped out.

isn’t there anything i can do about the cage bars being too wide for him? at least for now because like i said his cage was very expensive and so i cannot afford to buy him another one and i live in kuwait so, i really like him and would like to see where life takes the both of us lmao also his cage is in my room so even if he escapes i will always know where he is which is good i guess but still what if he hides in a tiny spot or makes a hole in my bed and stays there i still have the hamster cage he was brought in but there’s no way i’m putting him back in that tiny cage and i also have an old rabbit cage but it’s more wide than it is tall :/ you can say i’m pretty fu***d rn lol

Edited by - floridahkilos on Mar 21 2018 03:09:14 AM
Question
Mar 21 2018
11:41:38 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
Are your bars to big? You could try to do an exchange with were you got cage at?

but if your bars are 1/2 inch apart or about 12mm you should be ok.

one other option, not the best, is I can get plastic chicken wire at the local hardware store, buy some tie wraps and tie the chicken wire around the cage. This isn't the best, if he tries to get out he could get stuck between cage bars and chicken wire, you would have to tie wrap in up really good.
I have a picture in my picture files that show the playroom made of chicken wire.
this would cost you maybe $50 verse $225 for a new cage.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders