GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Help please
Help please
Health related
Mar 22 2018
03:54:56 PM
Hi all,
I have one sugar glider, we call him Oz. I’m gonna be real with you guys, he hasn’t had the best care over the last year. We got him almost two years ago and to start with, things were great, we played with him, bonded with him, etc. Then I got pregnant, a very high risk pregnancy, with doctors appointments weekly and twice a week, and in the third trimester, I had appointments three times a week. It was insane. All of this while taking care of my mother on hospice, who passed away in September. And now I have a baby, who spent a while in NICU, so we were away from home. I hate to admit it, but Oz has definitely been neglected. I hate myself for it because he deserves so much better. He has a decent sized cage and several toys, but it’s not enough for him. He’s overgrooming and has developed a rather large bald spot behind his left ear. I’m going to take him to get his nails trimmed this weekend so it will be easier to handle him, but what else can I do to help him out of this depression? I want to get back like we were before everything went haywire. How can I re-bond with him? Also, what kind of new toys should he get?
Health related
Mar 22 2018
05:42:01 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
it's called ..... life happens.

Just begin again with bonding, bonding bag time, tent time. Get to know him again and let him get to know you again. New toys will help, foraging and stimulating toys. Easter eggs with treats in them are great for foraging and it's nearly easter so they will be out in droves. Braided rexlace or fleece so he can un do it. Reset toys pompom pits etc... I'm sure he will love anything new and stimulating.

Gliders over groom for many reasons it may not be depression at all. I had one that would over groom if I changed his cage around to often, it stressed him out but for other gliders they like it changed around often so if you haven't done that he may just be bored. Some will over groom for other environmental changes, lights, noises, new pets etc... it's a broad category and can be hard to narrow down the actual cause.

Now most people would start out with "get him a cage mate" which I agree would also potentially help. However, there is no sense getting in a panic over a new glider until you get back on track with the current one. Unless you are ready to tackle both at the same time but that will require tending to two cages and two gliders bonding with you.

It's a process but he would have company 24/7 when life gets busy for you again and it probably will cause life does that. It's still easier said then done especially if he is intact, then it will also require a neuter before any intros.

It is an option, But that is up for you to decide on if your in a position to even do that.

Health related
Mar 24 2018
01:27:09 AM
Queencee Starting Member 7 Posts
You should get another glider for him so he's not alone anymore .
They die if they don't have any company ...
Health related
Mar 24 2018
12:22:43 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
She's had him for 2 yrs, obviously they will NOT die simply for being a single glider.
Health related
Mar 27 2018
09:35:35 AM
SugarSlave566 Joey 15 Posts
Actually they can eventually die from not having a cage mate. Some gliders don't show symptoms of depression as quick as others though. Personally I suggest if you can't get him a cage mate and and spend at least an hour with him everday and when he's feeling better every other day you should rehome him. I'm not saying it's your fault and you don't love him but you should think about your gliders well-being.
Health related
Mar 27 2018
12:23:24 PM
I'd like to see some medical or scientific evidence that they can die from being a single glider. One proven case.

If a single glider dies, there was probably an underlying undiagnosed medical reason for it. Whether that was poor diet, poor care, parasite, genetic issue, cancer, sepsis.... but there is no proof to date that they will die from being a single glider and nothing else medically wrong with it.

THAT isn't to say I promote only getting one glider. I don't, but people do get one glider and with proper husbandry the glider can live a long healthy life.

Personally, I do feel MOST gliders thrive when you have more than one. But there are proven cases of gliders wanting to be single and do better as singles. You have to know your gliders and what your gliders needs are.

Edited by - Leela on Mar 27 2018 12:26:34 PM
Health related
Mar 27 2018
02:50:54 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I'm not familiar with an animal that just dies cause they don't have company. Most animals/humans will go to extra ordinary lengths to stay alive. There is even the case of a movie made about the guy who cut off is own arm to free himself and stay ALIVE. we will even eat some pretty ugly stuff in the effort to stay alive. I don't think gliders are that much different.

Our two colonies are doing great, the gliders are healthy, active and seem to enjoy each others company.
Our lone glider we got as a rescue his cagemate died some time ago. He is vet approved healthy, interacts with us, is scared but starting to bond with us slowly. He is active on the wheel. someday he will be in the colony, but for now he acts no different than the colony gliders.
Health related
Mar 27 2018
09:02:47 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
The decision to get another glider is really a personal one. You know your glider best. He may do better with a companion, or maybe he'll be perfectly fine as a single. I have a single glider who is very happy and healthy. She gets lots of attention which is very important with singles. I certainly would not consider "rehoming" her unless I've tried everything else and it was truly in her (or your) best interest. The fact that things were great with Oz in the beginning shows what is possible. You've had your hands full, very full. The best advice I can give you is to not be hard on yourself. We all do the best we can. Sounds like you all need a fresh start. Spend as much time with him as you're able, even if it means carrying him around with you during the day in a zippered bonding pouch. Stimulating toys are great, as well as an exercise wheel if you don't have one already. Pouches in his cage are good to give him comfortable places to rest and offer a sense of security. Keeping his nails trimmed is a great idea, and it would probably be wise to get a check up from a qualified exotic vet.
Help please

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Help please