Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar glider hissing a lot seemingly at random
Health related
Mar 27 2018
08:08:36 AM
You know I've been using this site since we got our first glider in 2013, but it's just now that I have made an account.

Anyways, here's my trouble. My boy Kirk (yes after the captain) has randomly started hissing. I have listened to sound bites of every different sugar glider noise I could find including on Angel Fire, and there's no doubt in my mind it is hissing. I would say they're short in length but there's at least three in a row sometimes more.

I have read that it could be constipation, but I have not noticed him hunched over or holding his tail in the pooping position while making noise. I have also read that at the sound of annoyance like a get away from me what stop it kind of noise, but he is alone in his cage ( we give him an abundance of attention) so there is nothing I can think of for him to be annoyed with.

He also makes this noise inside his bag, which is another reason I'm leaning towards the idea that it's not going to the bathroom related because as far as I understand they try not to do that in their bags.

He is neutered. It's very early in the morning when I'm posting this, for me anyway LOL. I will update the o p if and when new relevant information comes to me.

Thank you so much for your help in advance
Health related
Mar 27 2018
09:19:22 AM
SugarSlave566 Joey 15 Posts
My sugar gliders usually hiss at each other all day everyday but your sugar glider is alone so that's kinda weird. If he's doing it in the pouch by himself my best guess is that he would be in some sort of pain. So I suggest taking him to the vet. Also I would suggest getting him a friend. Sugar gliders are much happier with another glider and your glider can be get depressed no matter how much time you spend with him. I can't say that not having a cage mate is causing this but not having a cage mate can cause future health problems from depression.
Health related
Mar 27 2018
09:33:44 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
Take him to the vet.

Our new connor did a TON of hissing after waking up, I think when he was going pee or poo. I have read that could be a urinary tract infection. I think he hisses less now, anyway. we took him to vet(we really like our vet, father and son vet seem to have experience with gliders) , vet looked him over said he was healthy and had NO signs of infections. didn't want to do a round of antibiotics when he looked so healthy.
So months later connor is doing great, still great weight and active on wheel.

Kirk alone since 2013 and doing great? I don't think it sounds like he has to have a buddy. You know how he usually sounds and acts, if you think its not normal I suggest the vet visit. here it is 45 to 100$
Health related
Mar 27 2018
09:47:04 AM
Bucs9115 Starting Member 2 Posts
First of all I would like to thank you guys for your replies. I've been very worried about this. Kirk has actually been in our family since 2014 I believe. We got our first glider mr. Spock in 2013 and then acquired Kirk to be his buddy and cage mate, but even after being neutered they do not get along. I'm not sure why, but nevertheless they don't. I would love to have an entire colony of sugar gliders. Unfortunately, at this time I just can't afford another one. I was afraid of the possibility of having to take him to the vet, only because I am handicapped and therefore do not drive and my wife works all day 6 days a week. It will be difficult to try and arrange, but if that's what needs to be done I will figure out a way to do it

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders