Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Mom and Dad fighting
Mom and Dad fighting
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Mar 27 2018
10:51:53 AM
My Joey's came oop 26 days ago and the parents are really good and caring for the joeys, however lately they have been fighting like cats and dogs. I hear them doing their squeaking fighting sound early morning and they continue it for several hours. I have separated the male once before because it was getting pretty rough but don't like to do that because he is a good daddy. However mommys safety comes first.
I separated the male this morning because last night they were fighting a lot, I could hear them when I was trying to sleep, and she seemed very skittish this morning and had a tough of fur missing above her eye. Does anyone have any advice on this matter? She is not in heat as she went through that about a week and a half ago and this has been going on consistently. I'm thinking about getting him neutered, but he is 3 years old and I don't know if this will solve any attitude problem. They are a bonded pair and when I got them they were just fine and have been just fine up until about a week ago. Advice anyone?
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Mar 27 2018
10:59:41 AM
Tabbiecat Starting Member 3 Posts
So I’ve rescued a few gliders with bald spots about their eyes, it’s a sign of stress grooming is what our vet said. After they became a part of the colony the fur grew back. As for the fighting I’m not to sure. Mine have very little to no fighting even after/with joeys.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Mar 27 2018
03:03:56 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I believe having him neutered is a great idea.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Mar 27 2018
03:43:56 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I'd keep them separated until he's been neutered and his hormones reduce a little and have a wellness exam done on him and mom. There could be a medical explanation for the bickering if one of them is ill so it's best to rule that out first.

The other thing...

From some reason we humans always tend to think gliders are mates for life, and are shocked that after 3 or 4 years of getting along, n raising babies suddenly they don't like each other, start fighting even injuring each other.

They aren't naturally mates for life.

The domestic gliders just can't do what they naturally would in the wild. in the wild when this happens one of them would voluntarily or involuntarily go find another colony. Caged gliders can't escape their mates, all they can do is fight and hope the human recognizes it and intervenes. This isn't just for breeding pairs this is any gliders in colonies in cages.

Things change, dynamics in the colony change, we humans need to recognize those changes and be prepared to make accommodations when we see those changes.

I've had to move gliders around a few times. Currently everyone is content with their cage mates but that can change at any time.

Sometimes it's also just a cue that they shouldn't be breeding anymore.

It could be one or all of these things or something else entirely, so we really can't say
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Mar 28 2018
01:11:02 AM
SookyandBogan Starting Member 6 Posts
Great advice all. Thank you. I wanted the opportunity to get bonded to joey's from birth and now that I have, he's getting neutered. Well see how that helps things. I put him back in with her for the night and will monitor them just because neither of them like being alone, especially mom with the babies. Fingers crossed.
Mom and Dad fighting

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Mom and Dad fighting