Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Please help emergency!!!!!!!
Health related
Apr 01 2018
12:04:05 AM
I just came home to find my male and female glider had escaped from cage n somehow had a run in with my plug in scented wax melter. Mom is covered in wax dad just a little and the new Joey has been crawling all over them but luckily no wax in her fur but she still smells like it. I'm worried about them coming in contact with these chemicals and how do I clean them off. All the facilities in my area are closed for holiday.
Health related
Apr 01 2018
12:42:54 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
I had a similar issue with my female. I called the vet in a panic and was told to fill a container with water (shallow) and give the glider a chance to bathe herself. She didn't take to that well so I helped her along, gently washing her, drying her, and keeping her warm. It's important to get as much off as possible since they normally lick themselves and each other to keep themselves clean. Keep an eye on them and make sure they have enough water to drink. Wishing you all the best.
Health related
Apr 01 2018
12:44:09 AM
Riconlilomommy Joey Visit Riconlilomommy's Photo Album DE, USA 35 Posts
Warm water?
Health related
Apr 01 2018
12:49:17 AM
For bathing yes. Whatever feels comfortable to you. To drink, room temperature is fine.
Health related
Apr 01 2018
09:25:33 AM
Thank you so much for the quick response. I wasn't able to get much off at all and I feel I did more harm than good because she was fighting me every step of the way so I had to hold her in place and she just panicked. She still has alot in her fur. Should I let her try to get it herself?
Health related
Apr 01 2018
09:58:35 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Bath yes, bowl of water no.

Gliders aren't going to use a bowl of water to bath in, you have to physically wash them yourself under a stream of running water that drains.

Turn both hot and cold water on and adjust it to where you can't really feel it being warm or cold when your put your wrist in the running water. like testing a baby bottle, you want the water close to your own body temp.

hold the glider kind of vertically slanted, keep the head and face away from the water, use one hand to let their back feet stand on and your other to support the back with your thumb under their front legs.

use a drop of dawn dish soap, the original blue kind.

Rinse really well.

Dry with a hand towel or tea towel, NO HAIRDRYERS. and make sure to keep the gliders warm until completely dry.

you may have to gently pick the wax off, and give more than one bath.

Health related
Apr 02 2018
05:36:14 PM
Greetings again!
Just checking in to see how your little gliders are doing?
Health related
Apr 02 2018
09:55:54 PM
Everyone seems to be doing fine. Mom's fur still looks a little scruffy but I would say about 85 to 90% of the wax is gone. She has a very small area on her skin that looks like it either got burnt or just groomed very excessively but other than that her skin was not harmed. I'm still keeping a close eye on everybody but I am very relieved to say that they're all doing well so far. Thank you to everyone who responded.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders