Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat
Should I separate the father from mother and baby?
Information
Apr 01 2018
10:22:16 AM
I have had my two gliders for almost 2 years and was told they were both girls and to my surprise one day I woke up to find a baby one day! Well sadly that baby passed away #128542; I am not sure why it happened and I was told it could've been the father? I don't know if the mother was nervous about being a mother for the first time or why it happened, but I feel like she is pregnant again and I want to avoid this situation again this time around so if anyone can tell me the best way to prepare since last time was a total shock cause I was told they were both girls it would be a huge help!
Information
Apr 06 2018
11:43:58 AM
Caelsis Joey Visit Caelsis's Photo Album 11 Posts
I'd start with getting the father neutered.

How did the last joey pass away? If you don't mind my asking.

Do not separate them, they are bonded and that could cause them stress and they could potentially harm themselves.

But no, the males help care for their joeys. Have you researched this topic very much?
Information
Apr 06 2018
11:50:43 AM
nickstergs Starting Member 0 Posts
I don't know why the baby passed away....I just came home from school one day and it sadly wasn't alive. I have researched it and I didn't think separation was a good idea i just wanted confirmation from other glider parents. After finding out one of the gliders was a boy I did tons of research about breeding.
Information
Apr 09 2018
06:26:49 AM
SugarSlave566 Joey 15 Posts
Unless you can find their lineage you should neuter the father. The baby may have been rejected because of a birth defect because the parents are too closely related.
Information
Apr 09 2018
01:52:39 PM
Mat0 Starting Member 3 Posts
I had a male and female together for a long time. They had 3 successful litters of 2, but after that, the male started killing the joeys. The first time there were 2 in the pouch, then they were gone one day. The next time I changed the pouches, I found 2 tiny skulls. The next time they got pregnant, there were 2 in the pouch, then one day there was just 1 and the other had her tail chewed down. I separated the male, and that joey finished growing just fine.
I don't know why he suddenly began infanticide, but in my experience, I think it would be a good idea to keep the male away while the joeys are still in the pouch. Once they OoP, it should be fine to keep them together.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
General Chat