Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Is a 32 by 19 by 37 inch cage too small?
Question
Apr 11 2018
04:59:41 PM
I've heard a few different opinions on cage size but I feel like I need another opinion. Is 32 x 19 x 37 too small? Bars are 1/2. Will only be for two (maybe three) gliders. Thanks

Edited by - wilky on Apr 11 2018 05:00:23 PM
Question
Apr 11 2018
08:59:45 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
A good rule of thumb is to get the largest size cage you can afford and have room for. Height is important since gliders like to climb and glide. I've heard that the minimum size requirement for 2 gliders is 24" x 24" x 36", with 1/2" inch bar spacing like you mentioned. The measurements that you gave sound good (88" total). You can always have out of cage play time in a tent or glider proof room to make sure they're getting enough exercise (usually a good idea anyway for bonding time).
Question
Apr 14 2018
04:08:26 PM
wilky Starting Member wilky's Journal 4 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Tiakristin3

A good rule of thumb is to get the largest size cage you can afford and have room for. Height is important since gliders like to climb and glide. I've heard that the minimum size requirement for 2 gliders is 24" x 24" x 36", with 1/2" inch bar spacing like you mentioned. The measurements that you gave sound good (88" total). You can always have out of cage play time in a tent or glider proof room to make sure they're getting enough exercise (usually a good idea anyway for bonding time).

Ok thanks, I just ordered the cage today and should get here by Wednesday so that means I can get my gliders soon!
Question
Apr 14 2018
07:13:26 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Exciting news!
Enjoy your new additions!
Question
Apr 16 2018
11:00:09 AM
scoot Joey 30 Posts
I think the dimensions you listed will be fine. That works out to 13 cubic feet. My current cage is 11.5 cubic feet and seems big enough for my two boys. Hey have area's that they enjoy and gravitate to but can still jump around.

Also toys and pouches in the cage can create a lot of "artificial" space. Hope you don't mind if I recommend some cage dressings.

I got this kit from etzy www.etsy.com/listing/595008229/sugar-glider-cage-set-rat-cage-set-sk?ref=related-1

(well a different color, but I couldn't find it)

It's a great value and I would recommend it for new owners. The stuff is all well made, I've machine washed them a few times and they are all holding up great.

Also my boys really like this www.thepetglider.com/collections/fleece-toys/products/playcube-fabric

and have enjoyed this
www.thepetglider.com/collections/toys/products/trampoline

I typically switch out what I have in their cage every few weeks (except the cube, that is always there because it is one of my boys' favorites) to help spruce it up. I think it makes for a good size and variety for gliders to be comfortable and happy. (I do have my eyes on a larger 20 cubic foot cage as an eventual upgrade, but I feel like my boys are happy enough with their current cage, so I'm not too worried about it.)
Question
Apr 18 2018
04:56:57 PM
wilky Starting Member wilky's Journal 4 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by scoot

I think the dimensions you listed will be fine. That works out to 13 cubic feet. My current cage is 11.5 cubic feet and seems big enough for my two boys. Hey have area's that they enjoy and gravitate to but can still jump around.

Also toys and pouches in the cage can create a lot of "artificial" space. Hope you don't mind if I recommend some cage dressings.

I got this kit from etzy www.etsy.com/listing/595008229/sugar-glider-cage-set-rat-cage-set-sk?ref=related-1

(well a different color, but I couldn't find it)

It's a great value and I would recommend it for new owners. The stuff is all well made, I've machine washed them a few times and they are all holding up great.

Also my boys really like this www.thepetglider.com/collections/fleece-toys/products/playcube-fabric

and have enjoyed this
www.thepetglider.com/collections/toys/products/trampoline

I typically switch out what I have in their cage every few weeks (except the cube, that is always there because it is one of my boys' favorites) to help spruce it up. I think it makes for a good size and variety for gliders to be comfortable and happy. (I do have my eyes on a larger 20 cubic foot cage as an eventual upgrade, but I feel like my boys are happy enough with their current cage, so I'm not too worried about it.)

Ok thanks! I'll definitely check those out!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders