Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
My sugar glider won’t bond with me?
Behavior
Apr 22 2018
12:27:02 PM
I have two young females. One is bonding, but the other isn’t. She’s very sensitive to the light when the other one doesn’t care, so it makes it very hard to do anything since I can’t get her to come out in the light but I can’t see in the dark #128533;. I’ve tried the tent method, letting her run around in my room with the door closed, carrying her around all day in a pouch, and putting honey/applesauce on my hand for her to climb on. Nothing is working, she doesn’t crab when she sees me but she does when she sees any light. (Yes, I’m sure).
Behavior
Apr 22 2018
02:05:23 PM
ptamom Glider Visit ptamom's Photo Album 145 Posts
The only thing that I can say is relax. Some take longer than others. I have 3 females and they still aren't completely bonded with me but I have come to accept it. Just keep working on it and try to be impatient.

I also was on here begging for advice on how to get them to bond so I know exactly what you are going thru.
Behavior
Apr 22 2018
09:51:51 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
if you have a good vet in your area, maybe he could give you some advice on your glider and if her eyes are sensitive to light.
I have not seen a glider sensitive to light, but we have some that just are not into bonding with us all the much, we have some that are very bonded and nice with no biting and no running away and we can pick them up. we have 2 other that only want to be near us for a treat or during playroom time.

The best I can suggest is to keep up with the bonding, but also I would recommend during daytime when they are sleeping put your hand in the sleeping bag and let them sleep with your hand for an hour or so.
I also saw a video were with young gliders the girl would get the glider to pee on her hand, rub it around her hands, then get the glider to stay in her hand, and that seemed to really help with her bonding on young gliders.
Behavior
Apr 25 2018
01:25:19 AM
Scoria Glider Visit Scoria's Photo Album Scoria's Journal 135 Posts
Mine don't like to come out unless I turn off all the lights, but they're ok if turn my phone's flashlight at the ceiling. Gliders don't get picked up so much as they learn to step up like you would teach a parrot.

Try scent bonding. Take some fleece squares and shove them in your bra or underwear, then work out until you're gross and smelly. Or just wear it all day, so long as it smells like you it's all good. Put the fleece in their sleeping pouch. They will get used to your smell and thus you. Also try to pee thing BYK suggested. Gliders are very scent-oriented and mark what is "theirs", including their human trees.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders