Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
What do I do when one of my gliders is gone?
Question
Apr 22 2018
06:17:54 PM
Hey guys.... so I am new to the site, I have read a lot on it but never made a post... so I have a situation and any help would be perfect. So I had 2 gliders for 3 years now (both bonded to me) and everything has been great. They were my first gliders, and admittedly I did not know how to properly take care of them at first, I’m just learning as I go... unfortunatley... there was an accident and my buddy Zex (one of my 2 gliders) passed away. Now I am completely torn up about it and I know Issei (my surviving glider) is upset too, it’s only been a few days but I can tell he has been looking for his buddy you know? Fact of life with me is I am not at home 100% of the time and I cannot always take them with me to work like I want to. However I am a night owl like them so I will be up late with them. I can tell he’s starting to get depressed and I honestly do not know what to do. He’s never been very active or super playful, but I can just tell he is even less so than before. I have since the oThe passed giving him as much attention as I could (I took him to the movies with me last night.... he wasn’t a fan lol) but I just don’t want to lose Issei too.... I was thinking about getting 2 babies to maybe give him some companionship, but i have no clue when it comes to this? Is there a proper way to introduce him to baby gliders? Is there other things I can do to make him not as depressed? I was thinking if I got new gliders I would get an entire new setup (was planning on it anyways because they have worn their pouches out) cage included. But I just am in uncharted territory.... if anyone has advice, please let me know. I believe getting some babies would be good for him, but I just do not know of that process with older gliders (Issei is 3 almost 4) I want to make sure he and any future gliders I get are happy. I was so upset about Zex I borderline denied it for the first 2 days. Now the initial shock is kind of gone I am trying to figure out long run in how to help Issei deal with the loss.
Question
Apr 22 2018
09:55:45 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
several sites have detailed instructions on the proper way to swap pouchs and scent train them then do a neutral territory introduction with new neutral cage.
this website has it, but its hard to find, I do a google search to find them.

Question
Apr 23 2018
01:05:09 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
So sorry for your loss! Good for you for wanting to make sure that Issei is well taken care of and happy. It sounds like both of you would benefit from another glider. Depending where you're from, there are breeders you can contact, as well as possible options on Craig's list. Like BYK mentioned, there is a lot of information out there about proper introductions (separate cages for awhile, pouch swapping, and getting them used to each others scents). Wishing you all the best!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders